Smart Meter controversy?

pete_c

Guru
Just curious as I am hearing noise from Naperville, IL.

Naper smart meter controversy goes on

The controversial — and increasingly contentious — issue of smart meter installation in Naperville continues.
A federal judge in Chicago on Thursday declined to immediately issue a preliminary injunction sought by the grassroots Naperville Smart Meter Awareness Group. Its members had asked that the city be ordered to allow home and business owners to halt installation of the wireless, digital smart meters and keep their existing analog electric meters should they choose to do so.

http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/news/12009620-418/naperville-smart-meter-controversy-continues.html

Naperville smart meter controversy continues

Eight people who circulated petitions for a proposed smart meter referendum will be subpoenaed to give testimony at a hearing Monday.
Naperville’s electoral board met for just a few minutes this morning to grant some of the subpoenas requested by an objector to the referendum petition. The board denied the request for four notaries to be subpoenaed.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-01-06/news/chi-naperville-smart-meter-controversy-continues-20120106_1_smart-meter-referendum-electoral-board

Just curious about opinions from CT folks on this controversy.

The attorneys general of both Illinois and Connecticut have stated that they do not believe smart meters provide any financial benefit to consumers,[14] however, the cost of the installation of the new system will be absorbed by those customers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_meter

I guess because I have literally "shut off" reading or watching or listening to any local news now since November, 2012. 

That said I am getting emails which relate to local news and received some 3-4 this morning relating to this topic. 

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  There are definitely some security concerns (and potentially privacy concerns I guess), but I do think that a Smart Grid is part of our future.

we had a similar opposition here as well when they started rolling them out.  what's funny is we have one and they still send someone out to read the meter in person  :huh: sorta defeats the purpose of having it automatically send usage back to the utility.

Perhaps people/groups opposing smart meters should find something more useful to do with their time. Like education of their children, budget deficits, and hopelessly ineffective national politicians. Unfortunately, people have lost control of most things in their lives. Their job, salaries, their children, their own finances, or the ability to make their vote count towards effective change. So people latch on to the most unimportant issue to make their otherwise mundane lives seem important. If they are hung up on health concerns, perhaps they should pay more attention to what they eat and get some exercise. Also there are a lot more threats in your daily lives which have a much higher probably of occurrence. Take for example driving down the highway at high speed with other vehicles just feet or inches apart. The only reason it does not breakdown into utter chaos is the guarantee of mutually assured destruction.

Don't get me wrong installing smart meters is just the first step towards rates by the hour to help force conservation. But during hurricane season in Florida it's nice to know the utility company will know the instant I loose power. Smart meters also allow utilities to better monitor the grid for losses which cost millions if not billions of dollars a year. The cost of which is passed on to the consumer. Have you ever been unable to listen to your car radio because there was so much static? The utilities often send trucks to pressure wash the salt off insulators on high voltage lines along the shore. Smart meters also give the utilities the ability to more intelligently monitor grid demand which they can use for adaptive or predictive modeling base on historical demand, weather, etc. Do you know how expensive it is to keep a generator on standby to meet peek demand?

In short, embrace the change and move on to more important matters.

My biggest issue with the smart meters is the lack of automation tie-ins.  I have a smart meter that SoCal Edison installed, but I can't get real-time energy usage out of it with my HAI system because HAI and SCE are not "partners".  Even though the devices communicate with a Zigbee standard, you can only use interfaces that are approved by the energy company.  This is one-way data - why the hell can't any company use the data for making intelligent automation decisions? 

JonW said:
My biggest issue with the smart meters is the lack of automation tie-ins.  I have a smart meter that SoCal Edison installed, but I can't get real-time energy usage out of it with my HAI system because HAI and SCE are not "partners".  Even though the devices communicate with a Zigbee standard, you can only use interfaces that are approved by the energy company.  This is one-way data - why the hell can't any company use the data for making intelligent automation decisions? 

Three reasons...  

One, because smart meters use encrypted Zigbee mesh communication to repeat signals from one meter to the next through your neighborhood.  In the wrong hands, someone with illicit intent might be able to do bad things.  

Two, contrary to one of Newton's laws, conservation of angular momentum is not what keeps the earth spinning.   Money is what makes the world go round.  Utilities make money from various partners who sell products, services, or sell data to analytics firms.   Utilities consider this information highly proprietary.   We can't have you adversely affecting the livelihood of hundreds of thousands to millions of people who work in the industry all over the world.  

Three, smart meters help utilities to operate their grids at much lower power margin levels, which translates directly into profit when they operate less generators or sell off excess capacity to other neighboring utilities.    You didn't think the utilities were installing the smart meters to benefit you directly, did you?

LOL, no, I knew it wasn't for my benefit!  We still don't have time of use pricing, so I'm guessing SCE still needs to analyze my usage for a while longer so when they do change to TOU, they can structure it to gouge me even more.

The pitty part of the smart meter is that the meter always go up on its KWH numbers, even your grid tie inverter putting a lot power back into the grid.  You can not DIY solar panel without utility company agreeing to not charge you for what you generated.  The smart meter can detect the direction of power flow, without utility company programming that into "Net Meter", it will show power flow direction backward, but KWH number keep going up.

We have smart meters and when I first moved into the neighborhood (or more specifically, when I got my first bill which happened to be in August and was over $600) I thought I had a problem with them too... but they do their job well.  I had more problems with manual meters when they wouldn't get read for months, so the utility would just assume where they figured I should be and charge me based on that - only correcting when I called and demanded it.

Also I'm not sure they use zigbee mesh to relay their signals all the way back to the power co - of course I'm sure there are different versions, but I thought at least the PG&E and other common smart meters were making use of the old and otherwise dead 2-way Pager network that was built out in order to send in the readings.  I find the hour by hour usage pretty handy although with our rates being what they are, I'll be doing solar some day...  and they do have net metering available and our power co has new tools for monitoring what you use vs. what you generate on their web-site. 

Zigbee monitoring devices are nice to have, except it does not report power usage per phase, giving most of us have two phase or three phase power grid connection.  Otherwise, you can add DIY solar panels to each phase based on the power consumtion without bothering power company -- just produce enough power to match what consumed during the day for that phase, so that the smart meter will not count what you produced as consumed.

SCE's smart meter by default treats generated power as consumed, so if you have one phase using 300W, and your micro inverter puts into grid 500W on another phase, smart meter will count that as total consumed 800W.  They requires a lot of peper work, and using they certified inverters and solar panels and inspection, before re-program the meter to be in "net meter" mode.

Other parts of the world may be different but in the US, net metering has been federal law since 2005

In the United States, as part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, under Sec. 1251, all public electric utilities are now required to make available upon request net metering to their customers:[3]

‘‘(11) NET METERING.—Each electric utility shall make available upon request net metering service to any electric consumer that the electric utility serves. For purposes of this paragraph, the term ‘net metering service’ means service to an electric consumer under which electric energy generated by that electric consumer from an eligible on-site generating facility and delivered to the local distribution facilities may be used to offset electric energy provided by the electric utility to the electric consumer during the applicable billing period.

More here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_metering

Not sure what the complaint is at all with SMART meters.  They have may applications other than informing the customer of their usage.  In my experience 99% of customers can care less.  Also conservation is more about when you use electricity than how much you use.  If you can keep the "peak" load on the grid low that is good for everyone. 

A couple uses on the utility end with smart meters are 2 way communication.  This allows the utility to "poll" the meter which is very useful in restoration after a storm hits.  Also they can be equipped with remote turn on or shut off meaning you get power back instantly after you pay your bill instead of having to roll a tech

They utility I work for is actually testing a smart metering setup to monitor usage program.  The limited response I have heard back is "cool..... I can see how much energy I am using when....... so what?" Until devices can report what they are using so you know what is contributing to the load I personally dont see the point.  What would cool for example is loading your washing machine and set it to run when it would cost your the least completely automatically 

btw we have been assured multiple times by our vendor that security is not an issue whatsoever 

Back