Smarthome ToggleLinc wall switches

theAberdeenKid

Most of my wall switches were the cheap X10 WS467.
http://198.87.86.194/customer/product.php?...=1&cat=2&page=1
For 6.00 they were pretty good and never had much trouble with them. The more I get into home automation the more bells and whistles I want each item to have. I have been slowly replacing them with the Smarthome ToggleLinc's
http://198.87.86.194/customer/product.php?...9&cat=37&page=1
They are a hell of alot more expensive (about 10 times that of the X10's) but you can really tell the difference beween the two. It has tons of features. Plus it's a 2-way which I love having, being a bit anal (understatement), the status of each device in real time. Plus you can trigger alot more events using just an on/off status. I use HAL2000 for my HA software so I can use the Homenet feature to check the status or control the devices remotly. Take my advice if you are getting into home automation consider replacing you switches slowly with the ToggleLincs. I went and bought a bunch of X10's and now I have them piling up in the closet.

Just make sure you have a neutral wire in your box.

I have a lot of those cheap X-10 switches and don't have any problems with them. The only thing I don't like is they don't transmit (report back) when switching them manualy.

Thats a good point I neglected to mention. You must have a nuetral wire.

The only thing I don't like is they don't transmit (report back) when switching them manualy.

I know what you mean thats why I have been switching them out.

Yes, some other benifits of the include the much better look and feel, pre-set dimming, built in X10 booster (in the 2-way model), scene enabled, to name a few.

Since I promoted this switch I should post some of its benifits:

Beautiful, High Quality Construction
ToggleLinc dimmers and switches are designed and manufactured to high-end specifications usually found only in extremely expensive, proprietary products. You will be proud to own and use ToggleLincs.

Fully X10 Compatible
ToggleLincs can be controlled from any X10 transmitter. For example, add an X10 Wireless Remote, and you'll be able to adjust the light levels from the comfort of your sofa. Expand with an X10 Mini Timer and you can maximize safety by programming lights to turn on before you get home at night. Add an X10 Keychain Remote and you'll be able to turn on indoor lights from the safety of your car! Unlike many "higher-end" powerline switches, ToggleLinc responds to all the standard X10 commands. No need to replace your transmitters to control them.

Adjustable On Level / Resume Dim
Each ToggleLinc dimmer can easily be programmed to come "on" to any brightness level from 3% to 100%. A closet light might be best at 100% brightness while you may choose to have your living room lights come on at 50%. Of course, you can easily brighten either circuit to full on. Another "on level" option is to have the light come on to its last on level, this is known as Resume Dim. Programming can be done at the switch or with an X10 transmitter. Note: Adjustable On Level/Resume Dim is not available on the ToggleLinc 2-Way Switch or the ToggleLinc PLC Switch, which are used for fluorescent lighting.

Adjustable Fade Rate
You may wish to have a hall light to come on instantly and your bathroom light to ramp "up" in a soft, gentle fashion. Ramp/fade rates are adjustable between 0.1 seconds (virtually instant) and 9 minutes (for a simulated sunrise or sunset). Programming can be done at the switch or with an X10 transmitter. Note: Adjustable Fade Rate is not available on the ToggleLinc 2-Way Switch or the ToggleLinc PLC Switch, which are used for fluorescent lighting.

Dimmable
You can adjust the brightness level locally by pressing and holding the top or bottom of SwitchLinc. You can also adjust the brightness remotely by sending it standard, X10 dims and brights or by sending it a Preset Dim command. Note: Dimming is not available on the ToggleLinc 2-Way Switch or the ToggleLinc PLC Switch, which are used for fluorescent lighting.

Night Light Locator
A small, subtle LED on each ToggleLinc makes it easy to find in a dark room.

Status Light
The nightlight LED doubles as a status light by blinking when there is X10 traffic in the home. This feature makes installation and troubleshooting much easier.

Easy to Install and Set Up
Wires in like a standard wall switch — the only exception being that a neutral wire is required. Setup is a snap. Setting of the X10 address, on-level and ramp rate can be done locally at the switch, or remotely using an X10 transmitter.

X10 Preset Dim Compatible
When desired, you can send a single X10 "preset-dim" command (used by many intelligent controllers) to a ToggleLinc and it will adjust itself directly and smoothly to your desired level.

Sends Status Response
ToggleLinc 2-Way models offer an additional feature: The ability to provide feedback to your intelligent X10 controller, giving you the reliability of hardwired systems without the high cost. You can also poll the status of a ToggleLinc 2-Way Dimmer or Switch for an instant status report, including dim level (2-Way Dimmer only). These features are critical when you need to know whether the circuit being controlled is on or off such as when you are controlling it over the telephone or via the Web.

Create Virtual 3-Way Circuits & Control Other Devices Via X10
Do you wish you had a 3- or 4-way circuit, but your switches are not wired that way? Use ToggleLinc 2-Way to turn other lights on (simply program both ToggleLincs to the same base address) Then, assuming you would still like to control the two circuits independently, program independent scene addresses into each ToggleLinc 2-Way. You can even use a ToggleLinc 2-Way to control other devices, including drapes, thermostats and more.

3- & 4-Way Ready
Simply add a ToggleLinc Multi-Way Companion to build a 3-way circuit. Add two of them to build a 4-way circuit. Add three for 5-way, etc. The multi-way companions simply connect to the yellow wire on the ToggleLinc.

Controls Low Voltage Lights
Need control of low voltage halogen (e.g. track) or other low voltage lights? ToggleLinc is your answer.

Controls Ceiling Fans
Remote control of your ceiling fan from any X10 controller. Note: Some motors may produce a subtle humming sound.

The only thing - that last line of that product description, I would only recommend the non-dimming togglelincs for ceiling fans.

This should be moved to the Review section. I would consider this a great review of the ToggleLinc wall Switches. You may have already answered this question but i probably read over it and missed it. Do the ToggleLinc Switches have all of the same issues as the X10 devices?

Currently I have over 15 of THESE X-10 switches in my home. They don't have the feel of the more expensive switches, but they work just fine and I haven't had one single failure. They also do not require a neutral feed.

Their manual feel does take some getting use to, but once you understand the "tap" feel it is not a problem.

I would not have been able to automate my lighting with any other switch as it would have been cost prohibitive.

I like these switches because it enabled me to automate ALL the lights I wanted to and not just a few. I did have to purchase the more expensive switches for my fluorescent lighting and also some "in-line" modules for my exterior flood lights (big bucks).

There is nothing wrong with someone trying out a few of the cheaper switches, especially when first starting out in automation. This way the overall system investment is kept at a "sane" level.

Do the ToggleLinc Switches have all of the same issues as the X10 devices?

Issues such as...?

I agree with BSR. Most of my switches are the X-10's
http://automatedoutlet.com/customer/produc...=1&cat=2&page=1
I have never had a single failure also.
I'm changing very slowly and probably never change out all of the X10 switches I have. I am starting with the rooms my wife and I want to have the ability to dim the lights. I like these switches because they appear as normal switches (I dont like the look of the decora switches) and you have the ability to issue the commands from your HA server or locally at the device.

????

Yeah,

I guess I should start with the quote everyone has been quoting here

Well, these are X10 switches and have the same issues that other X10 switches would have.

In my house I really have a variety of switches (as you might imagine). I too started of with the WS467 switches, then the WS12A switches, then the Switchincs and now also have some of the Lightolier switches. I think I still have one WS467 and one WS12A switch installed although I have been migrating to the better ones as time permits.

I think most people go through a migration and needs change and budgets allow - nothing wrong with that at all. It's all fun!

Back