SmartLabs INSTEON-Compatible RemoteLinc Wireless Remote Control Wins Electronic House Product of the

electron

Administrator
Staff member
IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 1, 2007--SmartLabs, Inc.(tm), the world's leading authority in home automation and control, has won the Electronic House Product of the Year Award for its newly introduced INSTEON-compatible RemoteLinc wireless remote control. The success of the RemoteLinc is key to the development of the connected home as it clearly demonstrates that wireless RF and powerline devices can mutually co-exist and benefit each other to create the ultimate reliability solution for the connected home eco-system.

"The release of RemoteLinc reaffirms SmartLabs' commitment to the benefits of a dual mesh INSTEON network which leverages both powerline and RF simulcast communications and creates a truly low cost, highly reliable, family of devices in the home," said Dan Cregg, chief technology officer, SmartLabs.

The power of the INSTEON technology is its flexibility in allowing development of product and solutions for consumers that can be either RF, powerline or both thus adding to the INSTEON networks simplicity, and affordability. This innovative strategy has allowed INSTEON to gather more than 40% market share, since its debut two years ago according to West Technology Research Solutions.

"With the release of the INSTEON RemoteLinc, SmartLabs continues to fulfill the vision for the INSTEON dual mesh (powerline and RF) that was outlined with the initial INSTEON release in 2005," said George West of West Technology Research Solutions. "The INSTEON RemoteLinc extends the INSTEON portfolio by providing untethered operation, enabled by the wireless component of the INSTEON protocol.
We expect that this is only the first of many RF enabled products coming to market utilizing INSTEON technology."

The RemoteLinc is but another addition to the INSTEON-compatible product community which today has over 1400 developers and 100 manufacturers ranging from home lighting, security, heating/air conditioning, and appliances.

Electronic House magazine editors selected the RemoteLinc as its Product of the Year for its technical innovation, simplicity to use and overall value.

The RemoteLinc wireless remote control is now available for $49.99 at www.smarthome.com. For more information about the award winning INSTEON home control networking technology, please visit www.insteon.net

About INSTEON

SmartLabs' INSTEON wireless home control networking technology uses a simple, low-cost combination of wireless and powerline communications to link core home systems such as lighting, security, comfort control, consumer electronics, appliances and safety sensors, allowing them to be controlled or monitored from anywhere in the world. INSTEON-compatible products also bridge to other networks, such as Wi-Fi LANs, the Internet and telephony and entertainment distribution systems, allowing INSTEON to serve as the foundation for a very robust integrated home control environment. The INSTEON Alliance offers a focused community for developers and manufacturers to incorporate the INSTEON standard into their products. Information about INSTEON can be found at www.INSTEON.net.

About SmartLabs, Inc.

Founded in 1992, SmartLabs, Inc., is an integrated technology company in the home automation and control industry and the only one of its kind to offer technology, product development and a distribution channel for selling to dealers and installers and direct to consumers. SmartLabs is organized into three divisions: SmartLabs Technology, the pioneering architects of INSTEON wireless home control technology; SmartLabs Design, which designs and develops private-label home control products; and Smarthome Direct, which sells its own as well as third-party products to consumers at Smarthome.com, and via the Smarthome catalog. More information about SmartLabs is available at www.smartlabsinc.com. SmartLabs is headquartered in Irvine, Calif.

###

Michelle Laird, 503-705-4577
[email protected]

Finally, a thread where I get to sit back and eat popcorn and watch the sparks fly :(

"The release of RemoteLinc reaffirms SmartLabs' commitment to the benefits of a dual mesh INSTEON network which leverages both powerline and RF simulcast communications and creates a truly low cost, highly reliable, family of devices in the home," said Dan Cregg, chief technology officer, SmartLabs.
Other than the SignaLincs and/or AccessPoints, what products are dual mesh?

This innovative strategy has allowed INSTEON to gather more than 40% market share, since its debut two years ago according to West Technology Research Solutions.
40% of WHAT market? Details please George.

"With the release of the INSTEON RemoteLinc, SmartLabs continues to fulfill the vision for the INSTEON dual mesh (powerline and RF) that was outlined with the initial INSTEON release in 2005," said George West of West Technology Research Solutions.
Shouldn't that be "starts to validate the claims"?

We expect that this is only the first of many RF enabled products coming to market utilizing INSTEON technology."
We have been "expecting" many new products for quite a while, but SmartLabs isn't saying anything anymore. For example, where is the KeypadLinc Relay?

The RemoteLinc is but another addition to the INSTEON-compatible product community which today has over 1400 developers and 100 manufacturers ranging from home lighting, security, heating/air conditioning, and appliances.
100 manufacturers? If you exclude software developers, I cannot name more than 5 hardware manufacturers with shipping products.

You have got to be kidding. That proves these press releases are totally bogus. The RemoteLinc looks like it was designed by a caveman. Hope I didn't offend any of you guys. :(

That cavement statement alone made it worth posting this press release :( I am surprised about this as well (I think), hopefully George or someone from SmartHome, or even EH can explain how they came up with the winner.

As a resident cynic, I gave up on any credibility to these "winners" announcements a long time ago. I still laugh when I think about the non-SmartHome product that was given a "product of the year" award by EHX or a magazine almost a full 12 months before it actually shipped. And I am not too concerned about the appearance of this device, some like it & some don't, but most users don't have a choice if they want the function. But I do object when companies make less than truthful press releases and are not held accountable.

I am still waiting for answers to these questions I had about statements made by Ken Fairbanks, vice president of business development at SmartLabs and spokesman for the INSTEON Alliance back in January. See http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=6505
a strategy that will lead to the introduction of over 60 INSTEON-enabled products from 50 different manufacturers in the first half of 2007
Smartlabs, does "introduction" mean product announcement or product shipment?

Today there are 18 different manufacturers with 36 INSTEON-enabled products
Ken, shipping products? Is this published someplace? There seem to be some products that I am not aware of.
:(

"a strategy that will lead to the introduction of over 60 INSTEON-enabled products from 50 different manufacturers in the first half of 2007."
Since we are now firmly in the second half of 2007, I call "dreamer, dreamer" or "liar, liar" on Ken's prediction and call for a congressional investigation.

WayneW,
Cinemar supports the Insteon PLM and PLC...and who's drivers are priced as seperate products of ours. Does this account for two of the 60, and one of the different manufacturers? If so, then their numbers are probably good when I think of the various companies that I have met that have developed Insteon products I have met at trade shows and gleaned from forums et al.

FYI: CocoonTech was the first site to do an exclusive review of this product...
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=6538
AFAIK, CocoonTech was also the first to even MENTION this product back on April 1st, 2006...
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=4044
Alas, they didn't make their Q3 2006 availability.

Also, to clarify, since SH has changed their RF system somehow, the statement that BSR reported "This product, called the "Remotelinc" can send (and receive) Insteon signals via your existing RF phase couplers." is not longer true. You DO need the new AccessPoints.

David, to your point, I don't consider an Insteon driver for an existing product as part of "a strategy that will lead to the introduction of over 60 INSTEON-enabled products from 50 different manufacturers in the first half of 2007". That's just my interpretation. I think more of a hardware product like the remote, Insteon enabled T-stats, fans, etc.

Wasn't the 2007 CES winner the SocketLinc Dimmer? It has been pulled from their web site and is presently not being sold.
Mine was returned as not even close to what the manual said it should act like.

. . . The RemoteLinc looks like it was designed by a caveman. . .
I'm not speaking for all cavemen, just myself, but I'm a little offended.

If you think I have pure design sense, you should come over and see some of the drawing on my wall.

And the nice thing about the RemoteLinc is that the buttons are big enough to hit with your club.

So its pretty much settled that the Remotelinc is *not* the cocoontech product of the year. Maybe Electronic House subcontracts with Florida for their voting procedure. :( So what is the cocoontech product of the year? Nominations from the floor are now open....

Back