SmartLabs INSTEON-Compatible RemoteLinc Wireless Remote Control Wins Electronic House Product of the

Mike, thanks for the picture. It certainly puts things in perspective.

Digger, I wouldn't worry about the outsourced design. Companies do it all the time, because it's cheaper to hire some consultants for a short term project, or one-off project, and not have to keep them on the payroll, benefits, etc. I'm sure your company outsources some of their work to someone. BTW, I was out on the Island this weekend and saw a store (or restaurant) named Diggers. Branching out? :)

Hmmm I wonder if they care that people know they outsourced the Remote. Then again it works so who cares.

But it is kinda funny that the product of the year was outsourced.

Digger, my oldest and most trusted friend.

I may have been imprecise in the way I worded the statement about an outsourced design. It also may be that you are in such a hurry to find any excuse to bash INSTEON that you didn't read for content very well. I'll let you decide.

The design of the RF components were outsourced. That would be the 900MHz radio for those of you keeping score at home. AFAIK the remote itself was designed by SmartLabs Design. I didn't go audit any design documents or anything to verify that.

It is pretty common for a company to go outside for design assistance with something so specialized as the design of RF components. I think it was Andy Grove that said "Build what you sell, buy what you use." Right off the top of my head I can name two companies, both in the business of designing RF components, that went outside to purchase the RF chips for their first products.

Since it looks like I'm about to become the owner of one of these I'll have to let you know how it works out for me.

As always, YMMV.

George West
www.wtrs.net

Hmmm I wonder if they care that people know they outsourced the Remote. Then again it works so who cares.

But it is kinda funny that the product of the year was outsourced.

Digger, my oldest and most trusted friend.

I may have been imprecise in the way I worded the statement about an outsourced design. It also may be that you are in such a hurry to find any excuse to bash INSTEON that you didn't read for content very well. I'll let you decide.

The design of the RF components were outsourced. That would be the 900MHz radio for those of you keeping score at home. AFAIK the remote itself was designed by SmartLabs Design. I didn't go audit any design documents or anything to verify that.

It is pretty common for a company to go outside for design assistance with something so specialized as the design of RF components. I think it was Andy Grove that said "Build what you sell, buy what you use." Right off the top of my head I can name two companies, both in the business of designing RF components, that went outside to purchase the RF chips for their first products.

Since it looks like I'm about to become the owner of one of these I'll have to let you know how it works out for me.

As always, YMMV.

George West
www.wtrs.net

I thought I said who cares since it works............ maybe I didnt but just imagined it. I did say I thought it was funny that the product of the year was outsourced. Basically the RF is the product as far as the electronics go. I do agree they did a great job and the range was better than what some people may have (I said may not a fact) expected. My opinion the silver looks ugly but the black looks much better (just an opinion).

I still think they should repackage it in several different style remotes to increase sales. But they probably want to see how this sells first.

OK did I bash them because I think the silver is ugly???? I guess so but its an opinion.

Mike, thanks for the picture. It certainly puts things in perspective.

Digger, I wouldn't worry about the outsourced design. Companies do it all the time, because it's cheaper to hire some consultants for a short term project, or one-off project, and not have to keep them on the payroll, benefits, etc. I'm sure your company outsources some of their work to someone. BTW, I was out on the Island this weekend and saw a store (or restaurant) named Diggers. Branching out? :)

Hmmmm what town was that??? Might need to check it out. Actually Digger is the nickname of our dog that digs to China in the backyard. He's a Beagle and he has dug down close to 12 feet or so a few times building a den.

It also may be that you are in such a hurry to find any excuse to bash INSTEON that you didn't read for content very well. I'll let you decide.

Digger???? In a hurry to bash Insteon??? I can't imagine that to be the case!

:) :lol: :lol:

It also may be that you are in such a hurry to find any excuse to bash INSTEON that you didn't read for content very well. I'll let you decide.

Digger???? In a hurry to bash Insteon??? I can't imagine that to be the case!

:) :lol: :lol:

Where are your PomPoms today??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back