Something to Look Out For with XEP...

video321

So... I figured I'd do a quick write up about a situation I came across a few weeks ago...

Long story short - my static IP configured XEP decided to revert back to it's default IP address. Nothing on the Elk was changed or updated during the time this happened. The MAC address is still the same as well with none of the "bad" MACs.

What happened? Well... all I did during the time it occurred was change the MAC address of the firewall/router it connects to. Now, I have no way of knowing if that is what actually caused it to happen or just one of those happy coincidences, but let me tell you how much of a PITA it was to get it working again! It happened the same night I was making the network changes.

First... the secure port was blocked!!! I had to configure RP to connect via the standard port and even then it would only connect sporadically and often disconnect. When I was able to get into it and change the IP it would either revert back after rebooting or still not allow me to access the secure port! I rebooted the XEP and control unit multiple times.

Luckily, there was a firmware update that I was able to apply and it got me back in via the secure port. There was something in the release notes stating the secure port would be blocked if the M1 control was in bootloader mode, but don't see how that could be the case.

Anyway... just one of those fun things you come across.

Has anyone seen behavior like this before?

Did everything else with the panel, except anything dependent on the XEP, work normally? How did you get it out of bootloader? Any reason why it may have happened?

Thanks for that info, Mike.
No, I didn't notice that, but I did reboot the control a couple times too. Still, I don't know how I would have gotten out of bootloader mode if I was in it. I'll check the manual.

mikefamig said:
Different beast. M1 in bootloader is no good. XEP in bootloader only affects itself.

It's been a while, but a 1.XX version XEP, something ended up happening to it ("It just stopped working" IE: HO decided to try something) and was caught with an improper FW. Dumped the base FW in and then loaded a few levels of FW into the XEP to bring it up to the latest at the time (think 1.3?)

Back