Speaker wiring...which wire to choose

shaurya

Hello All,

I need to do speaker wiring this weekend. I have 16/2 and 16/4. I understand that 16/2 is sufficient. Any reason to use 16/4 instead.

Regards,
Shaurya

No difference between the two except that 16/2 only has two conductors which is enough for one speaker and 16/4 has four conductors which can accomodate a pair of speakers.

It's common to run 16/4 from the amp to the keypad/volume control location and then 16/2 branched off from this location out to the speakers.

16ga wiring will be good for whole-house audio applications out to about 100ft. If you have runs that are longer, it would be best to step up to 14ga speaker wire.

Cheers,
Paul

No difference between the two except that 16/2 only has two conductors which is enough for one speaker and 16/4 has four conductors which can accomodate a pair of speakers.

It's common to run 16/4 from the amp to the keypad/volume control location and then 16/2 branched off from this location out to the speakers.

16ga wiring will be good for whole-house audio applications out to about 100ft. If you have runs that are longer, it would be best to step up to 14ga speaker wire.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks Paul for your response. So 16/2 is good enough as my runs are around 50ft. My main concern was around futureproofing...I mean will it be beneficial in any way to run 16/4 instead.

Regards,
Shaurya

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks Paul for your response. So 16/2 is good enough as my runs are around 50ft. My main concern was around futureproofing...I mean will it be beneficial in any way to run 16/4 instead.

Regards,
Shaurya

Not unless you plan on adding another speaker at that same location in the future. The 16/4, or 4 conductor (wire) cables just have an extra pair of wires to hook up an additional speaker.

Cheers,
Paul

Regards,
Shaurya

Not unless you plan on adding another speaker at that same location in the future. The 16/4, or 4 conductor (wire) cables just have an extra pair of wires to hook up an additional speaker.

Overall, I think you're fine. An extra set of conductors could be used to for IR, but its cheaper to use cat5 cable for it (a pair of 16ga is overkill for IR!)

Thank you sacedog and politics123 for you feedback. I will go ahead and wire with 16/2.

Regards,
Shaurya

Back