Structured wiring question.

cheezit73

Hi guys, second thread topic here.

First some background:

So I am having a new home built and had them run Cat5e to most rooms in the house.  The builder had an $1700.00 "Structured Wiring" package which I found out was a small ONq panel in the Master closet with everything homerun to that. No Thanks!

So since I did not go with that all of the Cat5 and RG-6 is homerun to the exterior low voltage panel.  This panel is accessible from the exterior of the house and backs to the garage, it is just a plywood panel mounted between the studs behind the cover and is the telco/cableco demarc, however they installed a "Mothering Hole" into the garage.

I want to install most of my network equipment, alarm panel, server etc.. in a closet which is located on the second floor above the garage and which I have very easy access via conduit from the garage so running wiring from the garage to there is no problem.  This closet has 2 cat 5's in it and one RG-6.

So here are my ideas and not sure which is best or if there is an idea I have not thought of.

First I am thinking I will cut out the drywall on the inside of the garage, remove the plywood and install a structured wiring enclosure and seal off the access from the outside. Inside that I will be able to have nice distribution of the RG-6 (anticipate cable internet and Sat TV) not likely to have phone but that as well if added later. once thats done I am not sure which route to take for the LAN.

For the LAN I was thinking to extend all the Cat5 to be homerun into the the equipment closet and have everything in there. (Unfortunately this makes it a waste that I paid for Cat5's in that closet but maybe I can find a future use for them as runs to the garage.) Also I will run another RG-6 for the cable modem. What is the best way to do this? Is there a punch down block to punchdown block?  Or do I use a patch panel in the garage and terminate the garage ends of the new runs with RJ-45 and then terminate the equipment closet ends to another patch panel that I can then patch to the switch? I like this overall idea as it keeps everything together in the main equipment closet. My only worry here is properly extending the Cat5's.

As an alternative I was thinking to put a wall mount locking enclosure in the garage to have the modem, pfsense box, and switch in. This would add the cost of the enclosure but I would not have to extend the Cat5's

Or as a partial version of that put the modem and switch in the garage structured wiring enclosure and have the pfsense box in the equipment closet.

With these two it seems like I am adding costs and worry about the garage environment for the equipment but seems easier for wiring.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

My first inclination is to say to run your switch in the garage and everything else in your other closet - router included; and run whatever wires are required to accomplish that (may just be 1 Cat5e plus a RG6).  I do like the idea of flipping this around so someone can't tamper with your box from the outside.

That said, if you really do want to extend the network, probably the best way is using 110 punchdown blocks.  

Basically with these, you punch down the existing wires, then you attach the clips (these are pretty near permanent once installed) and punch the new wires to the top.   I just tried a google search for some exploded views but no such luck... but they're designed for stuff like this and will last forever which is important.

Thanks Work2Play!

Yes in my last house I alarm contacted and changed the screws out for security type on the outside panel but all this researching of enclosures and the idea of having it inside popped in my head.

I saw those 110 blocks before but wasn't sure if thats what I needed because I didn't understand how the clips worked but I found a video on Levitions website that shows it.  These seem like they would be a secure way to extend the Cat5 which was my main concern going that route.

So I think I will install a 14" enclosure in the garage, route all the Cat5 homeruns, incoming RG6 from Cable and Sat, and phone later if needed into the can.  Then I will extend the Cat5's back to the equipment room with the 110 block in the enclosure. I have one RG-6 going to the equipment room for SAT but will need to run an additional for the modem.  This way all my equipment will be together and in a conditioned space!  

Be certain that a 14" enclosure will be enough for all of the cabling. It's not a bad thing to have extra room, but obviously a problem if you don't have enough...

drvnbysound said:
Be certain that a 14" enclosure will be enough for all of the cabling. It's not a bad thing to have extra room, but obviously a problem if you don't have enough...

Good idea, might as well go 28 and not have to worry about it!

Thanks!

Glad you found the info on the 110 - I was having trouble finding a good illustration to point you to.  Basically it makes for a pretty permanent connection on the bottom row and they can handle quite a bit of density as those blocks stack together.  Also 110 blocks usually come with a set of C4 and C5 clips - the C5 are for terminating 5-pair sets (25/50/100 pair) as they have a "slate" pair after the regular blue/green/orange/brown pairs.  Make sure not to get them mixed up when installing or it'll mess you all up.

And those mass termination punches are handy (I have one) - but unfortunately they're like $300!  So when punching the clips down with a regular punchdown you kinda have to rock it into place - like 2 slots in from one side, then the other, then back for good measure until it's snug - making sure you're holding it straight so you don't tweak the pins.  It's not hard - just takes patience and attention to detail.

Thanks Work2Play!  Thats funny, the video I found showed both of those methods! Do you know which clips I need to use c4 or c5? I had not researched that far yet!

I also just thought of a whole other route to take with this but will require being very sure of the length available and permanency of it. I took pictures of everything before drywall and can cut an access hole in the garage ceiling where I could cut the majority of the cat5's about 6 feet prior to where the go into the upstairs framing, I could then go to the attic and pull them up and with that length left over reroute them to the upstairs equipment closet. I am just kicking myself on this one because if I had thought about this sooner I was there when the electrician started running these and I bet he would have just homerun them all to the equipment closet if I had simply asked him and brought him lunch!

Back