supersoftdeals.com

jrfuda

WARNING I'M PRETTY SURE THIS SITE IS NOT LEGIT

I've been getting some spam from this site: http://supersoftdeals.com/index.php promising software at ridiculos prices.

I finally decided to follow the link. If this place is legitimate, it's incredible. ou can get what they say is a legit copy/license of XP Pro for less than $50!

I googled supersoftdeals and all I got were a bunch of spam and blacklist reports, no actual feedback about the company.

It still looks fishy to me, so I did a whois search and got this info about the site:

Code:
Domain Name : supersoftdeals.com

::Registrant::
	Name      : ANTHONY CRIPPEN 
	Email     : [email protected]
	Address   :  P.O. Box 5009 Pirae TAHITI
	Zipcode   : NA
	Nation    : PF
	Tel       : (689) 435695
	Fax       : 

::Administrative Contact::
	Fax       : 

::Technical Contact::
	Fax       : 

::Name Servers::
	ns1.supersoftdeals.com
	ns2.supersoftdeals.com

::Dates & Status::
	Created Date   2005-07-13 21:58:15 EDT
	Updated Date   2005-07-13 21:58:15 EDT
	Valid Date     2006-07-13 21:58:15 EDT
	Status         ACTIVE

Current Registrar: YESNIC CO. LTD.  
Lock Status: ACTIVE  
DMOZ  no listings  
Y! Directory:  see listings  
Data as of: 08-Jun-2004  

Domain Name: SUPERSOFTDEALS.COM
   Registrar: YESNIC CO. LTD.
   Whois Server: whois.yesnic.com
   Referral URL: http://www.yesnic.com
   Name Server: NS1.SUPERSOFTDEALS.COM
   Name Server: NS2.SUPERSOFTDEALS.COM
   Updated Date: 13-jul-2005
   Creation Date: 13-jul-2005
   Expiration Date: 13-jul-2006

So what do y'all think? I need some more XP Pro licenses and this is awfully tempting, but I don't want to be out $50 for a license that M$'s new "genuine pain in the butt" program wont recognize.

I am 100% sure that these are illegal copies, not to mention, if it was the real deal, they wouldn't have to resort to spam to sell their products. The fact the domain is registered to someone in "Tahiti" is a bad sign as well.

You mean Tahiti isn't the REALLY far east tip of Indonesia (where, I think, MS software discs are pressed).

BraveSirRobbin said:
Plus they have a Gmail account and not one with their domain suffix!! ;)
Well, my domains are legit and I don't use an email account on that domain as the contact email. If you ever move hosts or have a domain or host go down, you don't want the registry email lost also.

WayneW said:
BraveSirRobbin said:
Plus they have a Gmail account and not one with their domain suffix!!  ;)
Well, my domains are legit and I don't use an email account on that domain as the contact email. If you ever move hosts or have a domain or host go down, you don't want the registry email lost also.
I understand but; do you sell items on that domain to the public, and if you still want to not use your domain name, would you resort to a Gmail (or hey, better yet why not a hotmail) account? Whenever I see these two account suffixes for an Email, I think to myself TEMPORARY! :huh:

I would never, repeat never give my money to any vendor that did not display the same Email suffix as their domain (but admittedly maybe that's just my hang up though)!

don't you have to stop using it after a year?
When does my Microsoft Action Pack subscription end?
The term of the subscription is one year from the date you purchase the subscription. Prior to your expiration date you will be sent a renewal notice that allows you to take advantage of another year of great benefits

Along the same lines...

Last night I ran windows update on my Viewpad and was told by M$ that I did not have an a "genuine" version of WinXP Pro. I do, however, have a "genuine microsoft" label and key for WinXP on the Viewpad. Windows update said I had a corporate version or something.

I bought the viewpad off of Ebay over a year ago. I wonder if the previous owner (which I beleive was a corporation that went under, since the seller had a ton of these viewpads for sale and mine had markings on it that would lead me to beleive it was part of a company's inventory) overwrote the preinstalled windows xp with a standard "image" and I received it with that image, rather than the orignally installed version.

I wonder if there's a way for me to overcome this and make my copy legit?

Back