Temperature triggered relay

kwoodrow

I'm looking to cut a fan on/off based upon the temperature of my equipment closet. The fan runs on 120v AC. Can anyone recommend a simple solution? It doesn't necessarily have to tie in to my home automation software, which is CQC, but it might be cool if it did. A stand-alone solution would be fine.
Thanks,
Ken

Hi kwoodrow, welcome to CocoonTech!

what about buying a cheap thermostat and hack it? Or if you don't want to waste time, get the TempLinc, which can turn on a device using X10 when a certain temperature has been reached:

http://www.smarthome.com/1625.html

If there are computers in your closet, you could also read the cpu/case temperature, and trigger stuff based on that, shouldn't be too hard.

I don't have a link, but both Home Depot and Lowes sell a thermosat that will switch 120 vac. They are designed to mount in an attic to control a gable mounted vent fan.

Just put this in series with the hot leg of your power cable. Just another idea.

Smarthome used to sell a small standalone temp switch, it was preset to go on/off at a certain temp, I just can't find it at the moment. If I remember right it was cheap and very small plugged in like an appliance module, only smaller.

(I guess I was not very helpful )

electron said:
sbessel, check my first post, it's called a TempLinc ;)
Actually the device I am thinking of is not the TempLinc. It was a non-x-10 standalone device, very small, you had to purchase the hard coded temp range. Simple, cheap and clean I looked at these for my computer room fan before going the route I went...

Ah alright, sorry about that, your description made it sound like the Templinc, and I couldn't find anything else which was similar on the SmartHome website.

electron said:
Ah alright, sorry about that, your description made it sound like the Templinc, and I couldn't find anything else which was similar on the SmartHome website.
.. don't make me have to slap you around... ;)

I actually looked for the device, but was unable to find it... so I really shouldn't have posted...

I got THIS for $15 shipped on EBay. I'm just using it as a monitor but you could adapt it for this application. Also, other products on that site may be of use for this application.

Back