Pete's Blog The Beatles February 1964

Blog posts by pete_c

pete_c

Guru
Curious how many folks on the forum remember this?

February 9 – The Beatles appear on The Ed Sullivan Show, marking their first live performance on American television. Seen by an estimated 73 million viewers, the appearance becomes the catalyst for the mid-1960s "British Invasion" of American popular music.

[youtube]

[youtube]

Last edited:
That show was so charismatic and contained so much adrenaline I suddenly understood why the women screamed and fainted.

It sure was good to see the North American music break away from the same old 12/16 bar blues style.

I absolutely do remember watching them on Ed Sullivan. I was staying at my cousins house and we were all in the dining room watching TV and one of us kids remembered the Beatles were going on TV that night. My Uncle said ,"we're not changing the channel for THAT!" He was the law maker for sure. Then my Aunt squeaked up, "You kids go on into the living room and watch it!" You split into the LR real fast!

In 1964 I saw the Beatles in concert in Weisbaden Germany. I had my Dad buy me a Hoffner electric guitar which I tried in vain to learn.

Back