The frustration of X10

J-boxes more than 50 years old are plenty deep but have minimal top and bottom clearance. They also tend to have the corners rounded on the front lip. Even Insteon was a tough fit.

I know there is a lot of technology in these switches but Insteon cases are clear so you can see that there is still a lot of dead space in there. Electrical devices are supposed to have plenty of clearance to adjust for final trim out but that seems to be less and less the case these days.

I know I have mentioned this many times, but in my opinion you should really use a signal meter to see what is going on with your power line to help determine the signal sucks, noise sources, and signal levels. Doing any "patchwork" (randomly placing signal blocks, amplifiers, etc...) without this step is just guessing.

Martin of AutomatedOutlet will lend you an X-10 signal meter for the cost of shipping. I wound up keeping mine as anytime I add anything new to my powerline that is suspect, I can test it's effect immediately.

You will be surprised at the items that can be signal sucks. I had a Stanley X-10 mini-controller and Guy Lavoie had a nightlight giving us problems. (More details on this HERE). :)

The Stanley mini-controller isn't any different than any other X10 transmitter. They are all signal suckers. I don't know of any X10 transmitter that decouples its transmitter circuitry from the line when not active. That circuitry is tuned to the X10 frequency, and just presents a load when not driving the line.

We have Stanley mini-controllers here. I like the lighted button to see in a dark room. When I read that report on the web of it being a signal sucker, I did an A-B test between the Stanley and a X10 maxicontroller. They had the same "suckability", as measured on the ESM1.

A signal level monitor is very important, and I also recommend the ESM1. Even though I had isolated all identifiable signal suckers, our levels have gradually decreased as more and more electronic devices have been added to our home. The ESM1 is very useful in identifying major suckers such as computer power supplies, but its resolution is insufficient to identify those devices that only contribute a 10% reduction in level. Those devices in aggrigate are often what kill the signal levels in a home. The XTB was designed to combat those loads.

My favorite story about X-10 is from one of my first months on the tech call phones here. I know it sounds like the text book tech call joke, but this is a true story, I was the tech not a friend or a friend of a friend. This is not an urban legend and Ian, our other long term tech was laughing so hard when it went down, I thought he would fall over.

I received a phone call from a customer, we'll call him Bill. Bill was ready to rip out all the electrical wiring in his house. He had installed X-10 products for their convenience and now they were making him insane. Some devices turned off right after he turned them on, some turned on by themselves, and others came on as if scheduled exactly at specific times day in and day out. Bill had ripped apart his house looking for the gremlin with the mini controller and pht02 timer.

While I am handling this problem and running out of ideas, I am also being called by Bob. Bob is having similar problems and I am beginning to think that I hate X-10 because these two customers are getting really frustrated by their nearly identical issues.

I immediately jump into the standard answers, remove any timers or controllers you have plugged in, change your house code. If you use A, use O now instead (my exact words). Check you logs for stray signals, unplug everything you own until there is nothing to control with X-10. The scarey part is, they changed the house codes, and it started again exactly as before on the new house code. They followed every direction to a T, not missing a single step. I spoke to them every day for over a week. I was about to pull my own hair out when Bob calls me up and says, That's it, i'm sending all this crap back. I am done, and so is my neighbor Bill. He is having the same problems as I am. They lived across the street from each other. They were triggering each others X-10 with their timers and remotes, Bill shutting off items that Bob is turning on, Bob shutting off items Bill is turning on....yes folks, I was officially in the middle of this. I instructed them to switch house codes, Bill going to A, Bob going to O, and if another neighbor buys X-10 they all need a PZZ01.

In my house it was my fishtanks, it took a little bit of work and effort, but the payoff was excellent. I couldn't have done it without a tester.

Thanks, Jeff - the XTB came and solved my X10 problems - hopefully forever!

tomtnt,

Thanks for posting the feedback...I received my kit from Jeff, but haven't managed to find the time to put it together yet *heavy sigh inserted here*

BTW...Jeff, I finally got around to the feedback...thanks for the kind comments!

Anyone have a few spare hours in the day they can loan me???

Don't know when I can pay them back tho....

All My Best

Michael

Back