Thermostat quandary

royalj7

I would like to integrate scheduled and remote temperature control into a HA setup but have really be racking my brain to find out how to do it. I guess the biggest obstacle is I do not have an Elk to use to interface it with. I’d like to use a software front end for control, but ML doesn’t support any thermostats. CQC supports the Apirlaire 8870 and RCS models, but the recent price increase puts it out of reach (damn Dean for having to make a living :) ). Security is not needed for this setup, so I feel like the ELK M1 would be an overkill. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
--Jamie

I've got HAI Omnistats. They can be programmed to run their own schedule, or can be controlled remotely. I've got them connected to a server that runs Misterhouse. Via Misterhouse I can check the status of each thermostat as well as change the basic settings such as temp, mode, fan, etc. Eventually I'll add function to turn the heat down while nobody is home, etc.

I put some more information about it at the Misterhouse wiki: http://misterhouse.wikispaces.com/hai_stats

I use an RCS bidirectional X10 thermostat with PowerHome.

Page from my touch screen...

Attachments

• touchstat.gif
    touchstat.gif
    13 KB · Views: 55
Here's my tstat page using HomeSeer's touchpad interface:

Attachments

• touchpadTstat.jpg
    touchpadTstat.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 49
Thanks guys! I guess I am woefully uneducated on PowerHome and Misterhouse. How would they compare to a ML or CQC? Could they do both the heavy lifting automation wise and have a attractive frontend? While Homeseer would solve my problems, I kind of feel the same way about it as the Elk, two systems to buy, configure, and keep up-to-date. And I think if I have to go with two systems, I'd perfer the reliability of a soild state solution like M1 Gold over a PC.

How does some of the "lite" pannels like the EZ8 and Lumina compare? Anyone use them or looked a getting one or the other?

--Jamie

If you were to add an ELK, then whatever thermostats ELK supports would then be accessible via MainLobby.

Don't worry, Cinemar will be producing thermostat drivers. Which one is of most interest of the RS232 variety?

Thanks for the info David.

Anyone have any experience with the EZ8 or Omi's lower end panels? I know I give up voice capabilities on the Elk, anything else? How 'bout the Omi Lite and Lumina? Thanks.

--Jamie

Jamie, I think you will find that even if you go with a hardware panel, you will still want a software package. The panel and software complement each other very nicely and even offer some redundancy. That hybrid is the best option imho. Further, if you do not need security then I agree the M1 is probably not the best option. I still prefer a hardware panel over software tho, so unless you were doing the hybrid, I think I would take a look at something like the Cortexa, or even HomePro or Stargate. Of course those may be total overkill, so maybe something like the Ocelot and a web page like TonyNo does is the most cost effective solution? All depends on if its gonna be t-stats only, or is the base upon which to grow.

Steve,

I agree, a hybrid option is the best solution. However, I was hoping I could get away with a software only solution, ie, ML if they supported tsats or CQC if it was a bit cheaper. The tsats are just a start, eventually lighting, whole house audio, and theater, so on. However, this thread has clued me into some other options like Powerhome and Misterhouse which I didn't know about. So, I think my options now are

1) Look at Misterhouse and Powerhome and see if they can do everything I want and are priced competitively.

2) Get a low end panel sans security and then use any software package for the interface.

3) Punt :unsure:

Anyways, got some research to do. If anyone has any info, please feel free to post.

Happy Holidays,
--Jamie

Jamie,
HomeSeer is a software only solution that adds the ability to do a lot more later on. I use the good ol cheap X10 motion sensors to set the occupancy of my house and this in turn tells HomeSeer what to set my thermostats to. I haven't touched either of my thermostat in months.

you might want to look at ADI stuff . . I use their leopard and a few expansion modules to run my hvac . . no traditional thermostats at all . . but one of the HA software frontends and an ocelot would work just as well . .

Back