Thermostat quandary

Pete, here I would disagree with you. I would not use a software based thermostat solution. I would use a thermostat with embedded logic for reliablity that exposes control, settings and status to a PC based software solution. Not that technically it isn't very possible (almost easy), it just is not recommended for mission criticial functions like Heat control (even more important than Cool). This is especially important in freezing climate areas. If you are in Phoenix, probably less of an issue.

I have to agree with David. Not to dismiss Pete's solution as it obviously can and does work, but they even teach at EHX to keep HVAC as simple and 'standard' as possible. Think about the next time the system needs service and the repairman asks where the stat is, what do you answer - 'in my pc'? I would always stick with the proven stats such as the RCS, HAI or Aprilaire. As long as it looks like and works like a standard stat PLUS has the remote automation capability, you should be in good shape.

Dave,

. . the leopard does all the control internal (w/ ADI modules for I/O), no other computers needed for basic operation . . it is 100% reliable . .

. . I use HomeSeer for added functionality . .

Steve,

I've been a HVAC mechanic for 20+ years . . "I" am the service man : )

Pete C

pete said:
I've been a HVAC mechanic for 20+ years . . "I" am the service man : )
:D Well then that is a great solution for you and even perhaps your customers! Unfortunately many HVAC techs I see have no clue about automation and have a tough enough time with a regular stat.

I have the leopard programmed to act just like a regular thermostat (once you select HVAC from the main screen) . . 'cept you get two buttons to step thru the different zones (kinda like a security keypad) . . the leopard then flips relays in a Secu16 module to control the zone pumps and air handler . . if I labeled the wires/termination points a bit better I think most techs (not all :lol: ) could figure it out . .

. . with 6 zones (5 heat/1 cool) I would have had to buy 5 stats . . so I was able to justify (in my mind anyhow) going w/ the ADI stuff . .

BTW, most of my experience is commercial/industrial sheetmetal (ductwork) installation and drafting (CAD), but there are enough co-workers with wide ranging experience to get me thru . .

Pete C

DavidL said:
RoyalJ
"Which (thermostat) one is of most interest of the RS232 variety? (brand / model)"
The thermostats i'm looking at are the aprilaire 8870 and the RCS TS16 and 40. They also are the ones I see mentioned here the most.

--Jamie

Back