Thermostat to replace Honeywell 9000 series for Zwave and ELK M1

frijoli

I currently use an 9000 series thermostat, which is the same as the Visionpro IAQ versions. This is for a variable speed Heat pump. It is a remote style thermostat(the wall unit does nothing but send data) with outdoor temp and humidity control. It has a lots of features, but quality SUCKS. I have had to replace 3 in 6 years.
That said, I am buying an ELK M1, and a lot of z-wave products recently and would like to replace this unit with a Z-wave unit to use strictly with ELK or possibly with a PC based HA program.

Is there a "standard" in the z-wave product that others are judged by?

Thanks,
Clay

You will have to check and see if your HVAC system is using the communicating thermostat. If your HVAC requires a communicating thermostat (high end Carrier, Lenox, and Trane), then you are probably out-of-luck. Some people have had good luck with Schlage/RCS Z-Wave thermostats. The latest Elk M1XSZW has improved thermostat support.

I tried to install a 2-Gig Z-Wave thermostat, but failed to get it operating correctly using older Leviton primary controller and software. The newer Levition RF Installer Toolkit may have better thermostat support. I think the biggest challenge for a Z-Wave thermostat is that is has to be polled.

Instead, I purchased OmniStat2 (http://www.homeauto.com/Products/Omnistat/Omnistat2Products.asp) and love this thermostat; it works extremely well with Elk. The OmniStat2 supports a large number of HVAC configurations. I am considering buying a new HVAC system, and products requiring a communicating thermostat are missing from my short list.

Also take a look at an RCS - they use a communicating thermostat that I believe only uses 4 wires and the only new wire you'd need is a Cat5 to the HVAC unit. I'd never go wireless if a wired solution is reasonably attainable.

Thanks guys I'll look at all of these units. I should clarify about the unit I have now. It uses 4 wires from the upstairs programmable unit to the box on the HVAC itself. The box on the HVAC unit carries the relays/contacts and switches that do the actual work. The wires from the old stat are still there in the wall, but were cut short when the installer put this one in. :blush:
My heat pump system does not require a communicating thermostat.
To further complicate this question, i would like to zone the lower and upper floors. At most there would be four zones, most likely two to begin and then three total.

Also take a look at an RCS - they use a communicating thermostat that I believe only uses 4 wires and the only new wire you'd need is a Cat5 to the HVAC unit. I'd never go wireless if a wired solution is reasonably attainable.
Cat5 from where?

Cat5 from where?
From the Elk to the HVAC unit.

The RCS is also the best solution IMO for zoning - instead of having 4 dumb thermostats that have no idea what the other is doing, you an walk to any RCS thermostat and see what's going on - a feature I like a lot. Also, I can do functions to make them all flash a red light when I should be using the whole house fan instead of the A/C.

Zoning is a whole other issue; It's great - I have a 2-zone system that I hope to someday make a 4-zone system... just keep in mind this isn't as simple as throwing a couple zone dampers and a zone controller in. This has to be engineered with your HVAC company to ensure the zones are the correct size; often it requires a multi-speed fan if any of your zones get to small, and/or a bypass to help account for more air flowing than the open zones allow for. It may not cost a fortune - I was quoted a couple grand to convert my system from 2-4; but it's not something you can do alone.

From the Elk to the HVAC unit.

The RCS is also the best solution IMO for zoning - instead of having 4 dumb thermostats that have no idea what the other is doing, you an walk to any RCS thermostat and see what's going on - a feature I like a lot. Also, I can do functions to make them all flash a red light when I should be using the whole house fan instead of the A/C.

Zoning is a whole other issue; It's great - I have a 2-zone system that I hope to someday make a 4-zone system... just keep in mind this isn't as simple as throwing a couple zone dampers and a zone controller in. This has to be engineered with your HVAC company to ensure the zones are the correct size; often it requires a multi-speed fan if any of your zones get to small, and/or a bypass to help account for more air flowing than the open zones allow for. It may not cost a fortune - I was quoted a couple grand to convert my system from 2-4; but it's not something you can do alone.
Thanks for the reply. My system, does have a variable speed fan. I purchased it for that very reason. It can be set at 14 different speeds based on different conditions. Unfortunately, there are no "intelligent" hvac people around here so I will have to do the research and tell them what I want or do it myself. Every time I ask them to price a system for me they tell me why I don't need that, and all i need to do is "this". Fortunately for me engineering a system won't be a problem, installing on the other hand, will be.

Clay

My system, does have a variable speed fan. I purchased it for that very reason. It can be set at 14 different speeds based on different conditions.
What make and model of HVAC is it?

Also, does anyone know if any of the HVAC variable speed heat pumps and circ fans are DIY/HA friendly in that they allow external control of the motor speeds?

What make and model of HVAC is it?

Also, does anyone know if any of the HVAC variable speed heat pumps and circ fans are DIY/HA friendly in that they allow external control of the motor speeds?

Mine is a Goodman system. The air handler is an AEPFxxxxxx. Don't remember all the numbers

Back