Trouble with Caddx NX-8 (version made in 7/22/99)

JatMat

Constant flashing of power light.  Non existant events setting off armed partitions.  Waking us up at night.
Already tried these steps:  Reset board by removing battery then AC, reset keypads by removing each one individually. Replaced battery and power transformer.
Still flashing red power lights.  I have ordered "New Old Stock" board I found on Ebay.  And new LCD Keypads.  Now I need to know how to get the current programming off of existing board ( I can write down as I see them) and then using them or software to program new board.

Pulling Cancer card here, wife is dying with bone cancer which severly limits my time and resources.  If anyone can give me some pointers on going through the keypad to retrieve the settings,  I would appreciate the help.  All the local dealers want to sell me an entire new system and will not even send out a service man to investigate.  Original dealer retired and is in no physical shape to help me.  I am not good at reading manuals and comprehending steps.  Just need a friendly hand to walk me thru this.  New board and keypads expected soon.
Thanks
Jim

Hello Jim, and welcome to Cocoontech!

It is possible to read out all the configuration info using the keypad, write it down, and then re-enter it into the new board.  But it will be a painstaking process, and it's easy to make an error along the way.   I think you will need to study the NX-8 manual and understand the configuration process in order to be successful.

Another, less painful way would be to use the DL 900 software to read out the configuration from the old board and re-load it into the new one.  I believe this can be done through a modem connection to the phone line, or through a serial port connection.  If you have a plain NX-8 , it doesn't have a built-in serial port, and you would have to add one using an NX584 (unless you happen to have an NX584 installed already).  But if you have an NX-8e, that already has a serial port built in.  From the 1999 date of your system, it sounds like a plain NX-8.

Whichever approach you use, you'll need the installer code to access the old configuration information.  Do you have that?

There are other folks here on Cocoontech who know a lot more about the NX-8.  Hopefully, they will chime in.

Hopefully the installer code was changed to my security code as it was installed by a friend.  He is in bad health now and can not be of much assistance.  I will check on the serial port and what would be neccessary to install one.  Thank You for this info. and the links for the DL900.

If it was installed by a friend, he may have left the installer code set to the factory default code.

Thanks, do you happen to know it?  Also, any idea of what terminals I would use to connect a serial cable and should I cut off the male or female end to get to bare wires.  I am thinking to cut off the female end then have the male end to plug into my computer.  But do need some advice or page numbers to find diagram.  Have not found the information YET.  Still trying to digest the manual downloaded.

The default code is 9713.

I found that there is another way to connect to the panel rather than with a NX-584.

There is another module called the NX-586 which is meant for this task (also less expensive).

You shouldn't need to cut off any connectors from a serial cable.   The NX-584 and NX-586 have DB9 connectors on them.

Rather than purchasing a special module, the least expensive way would be to use the phone line connection from the panel to to a PC modem to access the panel (assuming you have a modem).

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/13856-dl900-required-hardware-help/

Ok, RAL.  I am admitting that all of this is WAY above my abilities.  If you know anyone that I can ship my existing board to (with new board as well) and have the programming done for me, I will pay via PP 200 bucks.  Plus paying for shipping both ways.  I will send one keypad and the power supplies.  I just do not have the time nor ability.  If it cost more than that, (might be somewhat negotiable)  I may have to try it on my own.  The cancer drugs are expensive and I am on SS, check to check.  If anyone sees this, I would prefer some references or long term member here in good standing.
Thanks,

Jim 
Reach me at jatmatjbt at gmail com

JatMat said:
Ok, RAL.  I am admitting that all of this is WAY above my abilities.  If you know anyone that I can ship my existing board to (with new board as well) and have the programming done for me, I will pay via PP 200 bucks.  Plus paying for shipping both ways.  I will send one keypad and the power supplies.  I just do not have the time nor ability.  If it cost more than that, (might be somewhat negotiable)  I may have to try it on my own.  The cancer drugs are expensive and I am on SS, check to check.  If anyone sees this, I would prefer some references or long term member here in good standing.
Thanks,

Jim 
Reach me at jatmatjbt at gmail com

@jatmat - I sent you an e-mail yesterday with some questions. Did you receive it?

UPDATE:  Still awaiting arrival of the NX-586 to download the programs off the old panel.  New panel onhand, more non existant events being sounded.  Now a question for someone that is familiar with the Caddux Panel and use of the NX-586, What wires have to be connected to the old board in order to complete a successful download, can I just have the board and keypads connected to get to the programming or do I need to leave the old board (in alarm status) connected to all points used in the security system?  Examples: Glass break detectors, motion detectors,window openings, exit and entrance doors, CO2 , fire protection, sirens, phone lines, ect.  

Thank You and BIG Shout out to RAL who has exchanged multiple emails with me walking me through this DIY adventure.

Back