Turning on an ATX power supply

Is there an issue with all the devices sharing a common ground? Like ground loops?

If they are all independent devices it will probably work. Just so long as none of them interconnected with something else. I think doing this also voids any of the UL listings, etc... on the device as it likely specifies it must be used with the attached wall wart.

Is there an issue with all the devices sharing a common ground? Like ground loops?
I don't see how there can be. Wall warts are only 2-prong and besides what would be interconnected between them with a referenced ground?
Also, you want a common ground if they do share signal paths.

If they are all independent devices it will probably work. Just so long as none of them interconnected with something else. I think doing this also voids any of the UL listings, etc... on the device as it likely specifies it must be used with the attached wall wart.

It doesn't "probably" work, it does work. I have 13 devices running off of an atx supply. I don't think you can void a UL listing, it isn't like a warranty. Most low voltage devices aren't UL listed, the high voltage item (the wall wart) is what needs the UL listing. UL listing is expensive to get and isn't required on low voltage items. Most companies selling low voltage stuff don't get it unless it adds substance to their marketing.

It doesn't "probably" work, it does work. I have 13 devices running off of an atx supply. I don't think you can void a UL listing, it isn't like a warranty. Most low voltage devices aren't UL listed, the high voltage item (the wall wart) is what needs the UL listing. UL listing is expensive to get and isn't required on low voltage items. Most companies selling low voltage stuff don't get it unless it adds substance to their marketing.

It still does depend on the devices. I had some onewire stuff fail due to grounding issues caused by a shared power supply. Onewire does carry the ground with it. I never looked into the root cause, but isolating the power supply solved the issue. If you are powering phone chargers, ipod chargers, etc... it will work fine.

Sure the wall warts have the UL listing. I guess what I was getting at is: so now if your ATX power supply goes "boom" & burns down your house, do you think you (or your insurance company) can sue the power supply mfg for the resulting damage? Or will they contend that it was misused (no matter how good of an electrician you are). Maybe I am just liability adverse. I tend to be much more cautious on things that are running 24/7 unattended.

It still does depend on the devices. I had some onewire stuff fail due to grounding issues caused by a shared power supply. Onewire does carry the ground with it. I never looked into the root cause, but isolating the power supply solved the issue. If you are powering phone chargers, ipod chargers, etc... it will work fine.

Sure the wall warts have the UL listing. I guess what I was getting at is: so now if your ATX power supply goes "boom" & burns down your house, do you think you (or your insurance company) can sue the power supply mfg for the resulting damage? Or will they contend that it was misused (no matter how good of an electrician you are). Maybe I am just liability adverse. I tend to be much more cautious on things that are running 24/7 unattended.

Well, one-wire stuff is kind of screwy since it actually communicates over the power line, but I have only ever hooked them up with them getting the power directly off of the controller, not a separate power supply. That's probably why they recommend doing it that way.

As far as a law suit for burning down the house. I don't know. Proabably you would have a hard time winning that law suit even if the power supply was still running the computer it came in. that is kind of why they get the UL listing, to show that they did due-diligence in ensuring that the product was designed and constructed in a safe fashion. Everything fails eventually, it is just about probability and things like UL figure if you follow their guidlines you have a 99.999% chance of not burning the house down, but still not 100%, just can't do it.

In the end, the power supply is not really spec'd to operate any particular computer, but rather it is spec'd as providing certain voltages and certain currents on certain wires. It would be wise to not exceed those currents in which case I think you would be considered as using the product in an acceptable fashion.

I have noticed now with this up and running for a couple weeks that things are working better than ever. Specifically, I am not have issues with my modem/router/switches. I used to have to do periodic power cycles on these things and now I haven't had to once. I suspect it is a result of a more consistent voltage through all the various ups and downs in current draw.

Hi,

put a voltage regulator on one of the 12v legs that will give you 9v out.

here is an example
http://www.amazon.co...0/dp/B0002ZPVS4

you will need 2 capacitors as per the example on page 23:
http://www.datasheet...52/529144_1.pdf

hope that helps
Raptor

I looked at that, but I am trying to make my life simpler with this. Since these options don't produce much amps, I would need multiples. For me, I would just rather keep the wall warts on the 5 or 6 things on 9v.

If I could install a single 12 to 9v converter that put out 10 amps, I might go for it.

Still appreciate the ideas. Thanks

Back