UPB C# Source Code?

DotNetDog

Does anyone have some C# sample code for sending/receiving UPB commands?

Yes, I'm planning to play with the protocol.  No, I am not planning to write another HA Software product.  This is just a fun little exercise to see if I can get my teenage son interested in programming.  He has already expressed an interest in this project.

Have a look here maybe

Cloning UPB

There is stuff here on the forum from a few years back relating to same topic.

Been playing a bit with OpenWRT on a bunch of devices and the Almond +.

I am able to get stuff working (barely) on my OpenWRT router with 8Mb / 32Mb for play which is a good thing right now.

Goofing a bit looking to modify the tiny Almond + GUI on it lately.  Much faster and more play room on the Almond +.

Just realized that the Casa Verde box roots are in OpenWRt....I've always had one; played with it for a bit then put in the HA automation box of discarded automation stuff....

OK, so I am going through the UPB Description doc and trying to understand it.  I have a simple program that connects to my PIM and simply reads any data.  Here is what I am seeing:

Device ID is:  14 (0x0E)

Manually turn the light ON and I receive two messages:
     PU08042A000E8664D2
     PU08052A000E8664D1

Manually turn the light OFF and I receive two messages:
     PU08042A000E860036
     PU08052A000E860035

Can someone explain these messages?  I need some help getting started at understanding the UPB description.
Thanks!

This may be of interest:

http://www.simply-automated.com/tech_specs/PimComm1.5a.pdf

Back to the message:

The "PU" is described in the document above.

The remaining fields are in hex.

The next 4 characters (0804 or 0805) are the Control Word. It's made up of a number of bit fields so reference the docs.

To explain part of it - the 04/05 indicate the packet will be sent 2 times and the 04 indicates it is the 1st, the 05 the 2nd.

The next 2 characters (2A) are the Network ID.

The next 2 characters (00) are the Destination ID - 00 is the value for the "Broadcast DID".

The next 2 characters (0E) are the Source ID - which matches the device ID you mentioned.

The next 2 characters (86) are the Message Data ID - 86 is the value for "Device State Report".

The next 2 characters (64,00) are the value being reported - as you can see in the docs 1 to 17 values can be reported here - here there is only 1.

64 hex = 100 decimal and 00 hex = 0 decimal.

The next 2 characters (D2,D1,36,35) are the checksum - see the docs on how it is computed.

Hope this is enough to get you started.

Frederick,

Thanks soooo much!  This is VERY helpful.  I was struggling to get started.  Now this is making much more sense to me!

I'll play around a bit to be sure that I have it down then I will introduce these concepts to my son.  Of course, he make grasp it faster than I did (young minds).

Thanks again!!!

This Command Wizard program from PCS is very helpful.

http://pcslighting.com/resources/PulseWorx/Software/UPBCmdWizSetupv1.8.zip

You follow through the prompts entering the parameters of the UPB command you want to send, including extended commands, and it generates the serial message.
like - PU08042A000E8664D2

By tweaking different parameters and observing the resultant changes int eh serial message you can gain a very good understanding of the protocol.
It is also useful as a dubugging tool to confirm the message you are sending is the correct one with the correct syntax.

Back