UPB manufacturers

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious, but if you use UPB, please take a second to fill out this poll. I don't think I missed any major manufacturer, but if I did, let me know (before you vote) and I'll add it to the poll.

The first question is about to find out what brand you rely on the most, while the 2nd question is about which brand you prefer (as many of us mix brands).

I'm sure most people are happy with them, but I would guess that most of us also have a 'favorite', based on look, feel, features (e.g., Gen2), etc. So far the results aren't surprising, but I know there are many more UPB users out there who haven't voted yet (hint!).

Currently, I dont have any UPB devices, so I entered a "Null Vote" so I could see the results. I was somewhat surprised that HAI wasnt used more. Since I planned to go with an HAI panel, I thought it was logical to also go with HAI branded UPB devices. I wanted to find out if there was a particular reason that more people have went with SAI? I assume this idea is negated for all those with Elk panels. Is there anything particular that makes the SAI devices better?

Currently, I dont have any UPB devices, so I entered a "Null Vote" so I could see the results. I was somewhat surprised that HAI wasnt used more. Since I planned to go with an HAI panel, I thought it was logical to also go with HAI branded UPB devices. I wanted to find out if there was a particular reason that more people have went with SAI? I assume this idea is negated for all those with Elk panels. Is there anything particular that makes the SAI devices better?

HAI switches work perfectly fine with an ELK panel so just because someone has an ELK panel should not exclude HAI.

Personally I went with SA for most of my switches because of the price and also the interchangeable faceplate configuration. PCS and HAI work just fine but the quality of the SA seems to be equal (if nothing ever breaks then they are all equal for me). I just like the additional flexibility with SA and that they are a few bucks cheaper.

I really like that there are multiple mfgs making UPB (competition is healthy). I dont think I will ever again go with a lighting protocal where there is only one mfg.

The majority of my switches and keypads are HAI, They've given me no troubles at all. Where HAI is lacking a bit is in something beyond the normal 600w dimmer. I've used several of the SA 22-40 dual load switches in my install, since HAI does not make that type of switch. Also they do not make any input/output modules. It seems to me they concentrate on only the types that the HAI panel will handle and not those using UPB without their panel controlling it all.

As far as quality I've had no troubles with HAI switches or keypads. In the 4 or 5 years they've been installed i've had to replace one 8 button wall controller that my 8yo nephew zapped with static electricity.

Quality wise, they all seem to be around the same. While there are in general no reasons NOT to go with a certain UPB hardware manufacturer, there are several reasons why you might want SAI, or PCS, or HAI, or Web Mountain, and there is nothing wrong with using multiple manufacturers (just be careful with mixing gen1/2 stuff).

I haven't tried other brands honestly - I went with SAI because of the price, the flexibility of the 240's while keeping a consistent look and feel with the 1140's used for a majority of the house, and I thought I read somewhere that they had the best "feel" to them - though I can't verify that. I also like SAI as a company just from how well they treat their customers when they need support.

What do you mean? I assume you aren't referring to simply having other dimmers that can support more power, as they offer 1000W, 1500W, and 2400W dimmers as well.

Not different sizes no, more so other types such as the us 22-40 dual load switches SA has or input/output modules or the new dual load devices from PCS and of course they have nothing you can change a faceplate on. HAI does great and I've no problem with their quality but they do stick to the basics as far as switch and module types. I assume it's a road they choose as a business model.

I've got a mix of HAI, Web Mountain, and PCS with my OPII system. Integrating non-HAI devices with the OPII isn't that hard.

I put down SA as well but have a few switches from each of the manufacuturers. All seem to work great. I had a problem with an SA relay and they replaced no questions asked. I've have a few Web Mountain parts as well and they work fine. As far as I can tell they are all about the same and you just need to pick features.

I just wish the color of the lights were standard. I have a mix of HAI and SAI and it is starting to look like Christmas lights.

Back