UPB Software question

ccap

I have the UPB software and an HAI omni Pro II. I have ethernet connection and the HAI PC access software is working great. Now How do I hook up the UPB software so I can poll all my switches that I have installed and stert to configure them? I have the UPS power adapter pluged in and it connects to the serial of the HAI currently

Thanks

I have the UPB software and an HAI omni Pro II. I have ethernet connection and the HAI PC access software is working great. Now How do I hook up the UPB software so I can poll all my switches that I have installed and stert to configure them? I have the UPS power adapter pluged in and it connects to the serial of the HAI currently

Thanks

I am not an HAI user but I believe that you need to use the UPBStart Software which you can get here. This is windows software so you will need to connect your PC to the PIM to program the switches/plugs.

First, it depends on if you are using HAI UPB switches or non-HAI UPB switches. With HAI switches you set the mode to HLC which stands for HAI Lighting Control (I think). For non-UBP switches, you use UPB mode. Set-up is different for each.

HAI switches are mostly configured with the panel itself. Non-HAI switches require UPStart. In UPB mode, first define your switch names using PC Access. Then, take the switch number for each, and enter that in UPStart when you setup each switch. Its pretty primitive, but it works.

The HAI panel can also control links, activating and deactivating them, but that's even more primitive. You can't name links in HAI, rather you have to turn them on or off by number.

I am using HAI switches and have them installed. The UPB module is plugged in and its connected to the HAI panel. If I want to use the UPS Start software, how do I get it to see the switches so I can configure them?? Do I have to take the module and connect it to my computer, via a serail cable??

Its the actual connection that I am confused about
Thanks all

First and foremost, I am a BIG fan of UPStart. Whether using PCS, SA or HAI switches and modules, UPStart is the way to go. Yes, you can program HAI dimmers and controllers via HLC but UPStart can do SO much more. Reconfigure "pushes", reconfigure default fade rates, scenes and much, much more. It is a bear to get current feedback at the HAI level but is very do-able. I promise that if you put in the time, you'll be much happier with UPStart programmed devices.

OK, I found my Serial pc adapter and I hooked it up to the computer and plugged in the powerline interface module and tried to run the software but no luck. It cannot see the module. Any suggestions on how to get this to work?? I tried it on two computers and no luck and I know the serial ports work fine.
Thanks.

First and foremost, I am a BIG fan of UPStart. Whether using PCS, SA or HAI switches and modules, UPStart is the way to go. Yes, you can program HAI dimmers and controllers via HLC but UPStart can do SO much more. Reconfigure "pushes", reconfigure default fade rates, scenes and much, much more. It is a bear to get current feedback at the HAI level but is very do-able. I promise that if you put in the time, you'll be much happier with UPStart programmed devices.

Just found out I need a 36A05-2 serial adapter for it to work. I guess the one I have is not the right one, which is a 21A05-1

The UPStart instructions are pretty clear. Before you can see any switch, you need to put them in setup mode by pressing a button 5 times. Take the device numbers in HAI and program each switch to match. You also need the network address set correctly.

You need two serial adapters. One for HAI and it best to use theirs, and one for the PC. The Simply Automated one is probably the best there.

The UPStart instructions are pretty clear. Before you can see any switch, you need to put them in setup mode by pressing a button 5 times. Take the device numbers in HAI and program each switch to match. You also need the network address set correctly.

You need two serial adapters. One for HAI and it best to use theirs, and one for the PC. The Simply Automated one is probably the best there.

Ok, A bit confused. I was just going to use the HAI Powerline module to program it and then plug it back into the HAi when I am done. That won't work??

You can use one for both, but its a pain. Its certainly not the best way to go. Everytime you want to tweak anything in UPStart, which I do at least several times per week, you'll have to switch the serial adapter. Not fun. You will see.

Back