UPS for Structured Media SMC

dw886

So we've had a few recent power outages, and it has me re-thinking my strategy for such situations.  I have a handful of Leviton 42" SMC enclosures.  The ones that have all of the automation equipment, alarm panels, and communication devices are already supplied with power via 12V battery backups.

The other 42" enclosures have cabling, networking switches, cable modem, a few POE switches for Ubiquiti WiFi devices, and the power supply for DirecTV that powers the SWiM.  All very-low power consumption equipment.  The heaviest hitter is the switch, and at full load it burns 12.5W.

I have Leviton Surge Protection outlets hard-wired into the bottom of each enclosure.  I've seen that there's a Tripp Lite UPS (AV550SC) that would fit the bill and fit inside of the enclosures, but I'm not sure  that I want to invest $400 in two units that don't have user-replaceable batteries...and honestly speaking, the cheapest of UPS units would likely work to power through a 20-minute outage with the small amount of equipment that I'm looking at.  If it goes down after 20-minutes, then so-be-it, it's not mission-critical type equipment...

It looks like APC has two units (BGE50 and BGE90) targeted at networking equipment, but the depth (4.1" deep) makes these too large for the SMC - they look to be something intended to sit on a desk with the USB ports and all.  They also have a BGE50ML that has a removable Lithium-Ion battery back that can be used on-the-go, but again, it's not really aimed at my situation, although it does look like it would fit inside the SMC.

Given the two things that look like they'd fit (AV550SC and BGE50ML) both have drawbacks (non-replaceable battery in the Tripp Lite and the BGE50ML not being really intended for this use), I'm looking to see what others have done.

Here's a break-down of equipment that I'm looking to drive:
 - Motorola SB6580 cable modem
 - Ooma Telo VoIP
 - DGS1024D 24-port switch
 - DirecTV power inserter for the satellite dish
 - Ubiquiti POE inserters (x2)

Does anyone have any experience in other UPS units that fit, or have any thoughts on if there is a better approach to this?

Thanks!

Have you considered putting an extension bracket on your SMC?   It will increase the options that will fit in the can.  Also improves ventilation at the same time.

rockinarmadillo said:
Have you considered putting an extension bracket on your SMC?   It will increase the options that will fit in the can.  Also improves ventilation at the same time.

To be honest, I forgot these extensions even existed.  This seems like the most logical approach, and expands the possibilities of what can be done even outside of squeezing in a UPS (it may allow me to restructure some and make some more room).  It seems that by doing this I can get into the ~ 4" range of UPS devices like the CyberPower as mentioned in the other post, and that should get me what I need to get started.

I have my network equipment, within the emclosure, plugged into a rack mount UPS with male Midlite power extender.

I have the SMC version and have recently replaced the "non" replaceable battery. It uses a standard UPS battery. Just removed the old one and order a replacement.

I wouldn't want to take up the valuable SMC space. Mine is wired such that the entire SMC is powered by an inlet that is supplied by a UPS.

I have (2) SMCs (one above the other), so there are (2) power inlets (one for each SMC): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XDQAA6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

index.php

Back