USB Fingerprint Reader TAKE 2

JohnWPB

I just went to Wal~Mart, and the have the APC biometric finger print readers on clearance for $20. (They had about 10 of em) I bought one just due to the price, and I LOVE it!

At boot time all ya have to do is use your finger to log into the machine. If that wasn't good enough, When I go to Bank of America's site now, I just put my finger on it, and it fills in the info and logs me in automatically. This can be set up for any password protected page. It ONLY works with IE (sigh....no Firefox support...) But I figgure IE is ok for secure sites, and NOT general browsing. I have IE set up JUST for all my credit cards, utilities ect, and log into each with just a finger now. Pretty kewl....

As a final bonus, if you right click on a file or folder, you will get a new context menu to encrypt the file/folder, and it asks for your fingerprint. To decrypt the same process. I have a lot of personal documents in one folder, and have encrypted it, and to un-encrypt with the touch of a finger is not much of a hassle at all.

You should also look into a service like Yodlee.com. Will summarize all of your Banking, CC, 401k, Airline miles, loans, mortgages, stocks, alerts, bill pay.... Gives you a net worth and will auto-log you into every site... and it FREE.

Yodlee handled all of Yahoo's financial services for a long time, so they are reputable.

You can still use your finger print reader, but only have to use it once =)

Vaughn

John,

I have to agree, I've been using the APC units for about six months now and they are great. The convenience factor alone makes it worth the price of admission. At $20, it’s truly a steal. Now if I could just figure out a way to integrate them with HS and ML.

I hope you have a backup plan for your protected docs should the fingerprint reader fail.

Yes, there is still the typing in the user and pass manually :lol:

Now if I could just figure out a way to integrate them with HS and ML.
I will 2nd and 3rd that one! Would be great! A small enclosure next to the front door to unlock would be awesome!

AccessX10 said:
a steal. Now if I could just figure out a way to integrate them with HS and ML.

A recently released plugin is available for HS. Just go to the updates at HomeSeer.

JohnWPB said:
I just went to Wal~Mart, and the have the APC biometric finger print readers on clearance for $20. (They had about 10 of em) I bought one just due to the price, and I LOVE it!
Hmmm, the one by me has them marked $49.95 and they do not appear on their web site.

Steve said:
JohnWPB said:
Hmmm, the one by me has them marked $49.95 and they do not appear on their web site.
The APC readers are $29 at the WalMart near my work. The Microsoft reader is now $19.99. I guess that's regional pricing at work.

Back