Using only media extenders to distribute media

I'm trying to plan out how to distrubute media in my house. I've read up on all the threads and understand everything pretty well. Right now my house is only wired with one cat5 and one RG6 to each remote TV location so I'm working within those contraints. I'm planning on being able to distribute to 4 locations right now. I see a couple different options with pluses and minuses to both and just wanted other thoughts. I'm currently using VMC and one XBox360 as an extender to an older TV.

Option 1. VMC & Extenders (XBOX360, or Linksys ones)
Costs: 4 TVs $1000-1600 for 4 extenders.
Hookup
+ Can hookup to any TV input (component, composite, HDMI) easily
Audio
- No cheap multizone audio plugins yet for MCE
Recorded OTA TV
+ No concerns
Recorded Premium Content (DirectTV)
- Not doable at this time unless you down res, in coming in future but when.
DVDs
+ With ripped DVDs, playback is possible, can play back multiple DVDs at same time.
- HD costs associated with DVD storage $300-400 for 2TB, time to rip and convert files.
Misc
+ Contant look and feel of guis on all TVs
- Control of third party apps (CQC) outside of MCE very difficult on extended TVs.

Option 2. Matrix Switch w/ baluns.
Costs: 4 TVs $1900 Total ($500 Matrix switch $1400 for 4 CAT5 baluns that do component/stereo audio over one cable.)
Hookup
+ component/audio hookup easy.
- composite not doable without additional matrix switches or baluns.
Audio
+ Would require a control program but programs do exist.
Recorded OTA TV
+ No concerns
Recorded Premium Content (DirecTV)
+ Can distribute the output from HD DVR
DVDs
+ No additional costs outside the changer.
- Can only do one DVD at a time.
Misc
- Need to buy additional control program for constant look and feel on all TVs.
+ Control of third party apps (CQC) much easier as it would be installed on a pc which would be a source.

In my mind at least currently option 1 seems like a better choice as I think all content will eventually go digital and it's cheaper to just add an extender to a network than buy the CAT5 baluns. But DVDs and Premium content are going to be issues currently. As well as control of CQC.

I do think a MCE plugin could be written for CQC, at least in my mind I think one could be done.

Option two gets me all the content around everyone now, but there is the added costs of the baluns. Additionally, while each source can go anywhere, only one particular TV can have control of the source. IE, you couldn't be watching two different shows of Media Center. To do that you'd have to add an Extender as a source and then your looking at the cost of the extender and baluns which would be $550-$750 each location.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone using just extenders for their distribution solution?

Check out the thread on "Getting Started on HTPCs" (or something close). There is a discussion in there about using Sage as a video server, and then connecting extenders to your TVs.

I have 5 extenders displaying SD or HD content, DVDs, pictures, etc. It all runs off Cat 5 without an issue.

The problem is Sage is out of HD extenders. Are there others that work equally as well with SageTV?

That was SageTV's initial order, they are physically changing some things and will be back. However the point is valid, until the source is found you will have a limited supply when compared to the MVP.

I would say option 1 would be preferred because in each room you can still get additional ethernet connections (for PC or additonal extenders) by placing a small switch. If you go for option 2 you have used up the only Cat5 for only 1 purpose and have no possibility for expansion (except wireless ofcourse).

If the HD quality of the subscribed content that important to you? It's probably worth switching back to SD on that for a few months untill HD capture cards are available. But it's your choice ofcourse.

I'm trying to decide if i even want to run RG6 to any of the rooms :) Maybe just a singel RG6 and dual cat5 will do the trick. I've been reading that channel hopping through Sage is slow, so at least one can switch back to the normal signal for that.

biggest issue with using only extenders is your DVD distro. You'll have to rip ALL of them, no megachanger options. I have tons of rarely watched DVDs that I'd rather not rip.

- Control of third party apps (CQC) outside of MCE very difficult on extended TVs

Actually, that may not be true for too much longer. Beelzerob is researching this area, there's clearly an opportunity to use the CQC XML gateway (which is what the DNV uses) in conjunction with some code beelzerob has already written for the SageTV->CQC direction. If that works out, you'll have bidirectional status & control easily on an extender.

If it doesn't work out, then all Dean has to do is to do the "global action" thing he's mentioned before, then allow command line invocation, in which case you can have 1way control of CQC on the extender. Not nearly as nice, but still possible.

Have you played with VLC and distributing it? I like VLC and all but I dunno about how polished that will get.

Dunno on the FCC ID# of the HD Extender.

I ripped all the RG6 out of my house a couple months back as I repainted.

Still have my RG59u though. :)

I also watch DVDs on my extenders 3 ways.

1. Analog capture via S-Video from a megachanger (480p to 480i isn't all that bad really.).
2. Stream directly from the DVD-RW installed in the mediaserver.
3. Ripped to disk non commercial /copy protected disks.

So no doubt I will be going forth with my IP based system I just need to learn how to build screens in SageTV that work worth a damn.

1. Analog capture via S-Video from a megachanger (480p to 480i isn't all that bad really.).
2. Stream directly from the DVD-RW installed in the mediaserver.

1) 480i may be fine on SDTVs, but it's pretty awful on HDTVs.
2) True, issue is that you gotta put the disc in as opposed to the megachanger.

If it doesn't work out, then all Dean has to do is to do the "global action" thing he's mentioned before, then allow command line invocation, in which case you can have 1way control of CQC on the extender. Not nearly as nice, but still possible.

I have no doubts it'll work out...it's just an issue of how long it takes to make happen. I'm going to take the Dean approach and say "it's on the list, but can't promise when."...

Interesting information on the Sage -> CQC control that could be nice. Probably open up the way for VMC control as well.

Good idea on storing some of the DVDs on the mega changer. I'm sure there are a number of disks that I don't watch ofter. I'll probably just stick to ripping the more popular DVDs.

For the time, I'm pretty happy with VMC. But this next year hopefully will be a good year for both Sage and VMC as hopefully we will see the DirecTV solution and hopefully component video capture.

For discs that I don't watch often, I just put it in my DVD player on my server... it then streams over the network. Downside is I have to get up to go put the disc in the player - but otherwise works fine. (I have anydvd installed to ensure there aren't any issues)

For discs that I don't watch often, I just put it in my DVD player on my server... it then streams over the network. Downside is I have to get up to go put the disc in the player - but otherwise works fine. (I have anydvd installed to ensure there aren't any issues)

You might consider USB over Cat5 so you can put a local DVD player strategically. I plan to put a hub inside my sofa where I can connect gamepads/DVD player/ Joystck whatever you may need.

Collin, you mentioned game pads in your reply. How do you handle gaming? I'm wondering if any of the capture cards are fast enough to capture video from a gaming system and not have you blown to smithereens before you have a chance to move.

Another drawback I see with one is the Xbox. If I download any content from Xbox live to the xbox. I can only watch it on the TV connected to the Xbox, connected to a matrix switch I could watch it on any TV.

PC games not console games, I switch the inputs on the display to play the wii.

Battlefield 1942 with the DesertCombat mod, Rouge Spear and Ghost Recon are the norm. I don't use a gamepad but I keep one for console gamers to use.

Back