V210 Remote Desktop Connection

rogerous

Hi all, I need your help.

I have a customers Viewsonic V210 wireless display that doesn't want to connect anymore to the host pc(XP Pro) via a remote desktop connection.

Everytime he tries to connect he gets this message: "Remote Desktop Disconnected - The connection was ended because of a network error. Please try connecting to the remote computer again".

Its been working good for about one and a half year and then started having this problem since about 2 weeks ago.

- The V210 is able to access the internet without any problem.

- I tried with my customers laptop and it connects to the host pc without any problems.

- I tried with the V210 at my home on my host pc(XP Pro) and I also cannot connect.

- I tried with my laptop at home on my host pc and it connects without any problems.

The above tests seems to indicate that both host pc(customer and mine) are setup correctly and that the V210 is in fact the source of the problem.

I googled and cannot find any solutions to this problem. I checked the viewsonic website support and it just doesn't help at all.

-- Has this ever happened to you and what have you found to enable it to reconnect ?

-- Could it be that the remote desktop connection client software (RDC) is corrupted ?

Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger

On that viewsonic, go to the command prompt and type telnet ip.of.remote.server 3389

If you get a blank screen that just sits there for a while (or until you hit enter a few times), then the connectivity part is fine. Is XP firewall enabled? Is there any other kind of AV/firewall software installed? Can you ping the remote desktop machine from that viewsonic?

Hi Electron, thanks for taking some time to look into this.

On that viewsonic, go to the command prompt and type telnet ip.of.remote.server 3389
I get the message Cannot execute telnet.exe

Is XP firewall enabled?
No firewall on the remote desktop or on the Viewsonic.

Is there any other kind of AV/firewall software installed?
I do have NOD32 on the remote desktop. I disabled it and nothing changed. The Viewsonic does not have any Anti virus and no firewall that I can see.

Can you ping the remote desktop machine from that viewsonic?
Yes I can ping the remote desktop from the Viewsonic. I can also ping the Viewsonic from the remote desktop.

Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks,
Roger

I had this same error after enabling Keepalives on my server, under Terminal Server config.

I attributed this to the old RDP client in the V110p not supporting this TS feature. Not all RDP clients are the same, there are several versions of the protocol. It might be possible you have an unsupported feature enabled or an MS update has changed something.

Try copying mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll from your XP desktop machine to a temp. directory on your Viewsonic. You can find those files in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\" on the desktop. Once you have copied them, just execute mstsc.exe and see if that lets you connect.

Microsoft released a new version of the Remote Desktop client just recently. You can download it through Windows Update, that's probably the only other thing I can think of to try.

Hi guys, this will give me something else to try.

I called Viewsonic this morning and they told me that I might need to re-image the V210 firmware. I had the same comment from a user on the cinemar bb.

In any case I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Roger

Problem solved :eek: I had to update the V210 image. The Viewsonic tech was very helpful in telling me how to do it. I guess the firmare was corrupted preventing the remote desktop connection.

I want to thank you all for your great suggestions and help.

Roger

Back