Vehicle Detection - HAI Omni

myyaz33

I see various options out there for vehicle detection and I am interested in a hardwire probe.  Looks like Cartell and EMX are the two most prevalent options.  My driveway is 500-600ft  so I expect that I will need a 500ft probe.  What I am not sure of when looking at the Cartell models is there are 2 options, 1 that comes with a controller and 1 that is completely self contained.  Not sure which one I should pick to tie into the Omni pro panel?  I think I can get by with 1 probe in PVC under the cement at a 45 degree angle.   When looking at the EMX option, I cant seem to find 500ft model and really dont want to splice out the gate.  The driveway is currently not paved so I have some time to get it right.  Let me know if there is something else out there I should be considering.  Really do no want to do wireless.  

The self contained unit is not a problem as long as you don't think you'll need to adjust the sensitivity. Using the separate controller and probe gives you the ability to adjust sensitivity.

I ran conduit and planned to install a wired driveway monitor.   However, after 3 lightning strikes and thousands of $$ equipment loss, I changed my mind and went wireless.   I have eliminated all outdoor wiring runs from my system (except for the sprinkler system) and replaced them with either fiber or wireless.   So far, so good.

@myyaz33 - self contained has the advantage of being easy to replace. separate allows you to replace only parts that may degrade over time without a full overhaul.  Avoid the 45 and make a longer run at the pavement to be more parallel (closer to grade). If you have power out there, use a fiber transceiver for connection to your OP.  If you get a transceiver with multiple inputs, you will be able to add other things later that are not planned today or break up your sensor probes into more units for whatever you like.

@rockinarmadillo - Fiber transceivers are a perfect way to enable communications and avoid transient static discharge and lightning to eliminate the risks of "wire in the ground" installations. Excellent idea!  :pray:

Years ago went to using wired Cartel sensors (2) - early 2000's.

Never had an issue.  The sensors were under the driveway. 

I should have went with 2 sensors.  Now I cant tell which way the vehicles are going...  Went with the Cartell with CT2B controller wired to the Omni Pro.  Announcements over the 2way audio card connected to page input of HI-fi2.  Works pretty slick.   Tried having Homeseer do the announcements using the Casatunes plug-in (through HIFI2) but it was delayed too long.  People are out of car before notice.  drive is 800ft with sensor about 500ft out. Thanks for the previous input.

Finally getting time to fix my sloppy install so figured Ill follow-up on the driveway sensor.

I do wish I would have done 2 sensors from the start to detect direction, but cost was a concern. I have since solved this by using a relay output on the NVR and connecting it to a zone on the Omnipro. The NVR allows for a directional triggers or trip-wire alerts which will trip one of the onboard relays. Because of the directional trigger, I now know when someone is leaving vs coming and can use the HAI rules to set a Flag as Timer. This allows for things like alerts only when someone arrives instead of leaving. I have various other things happen within Homeseer such as pull up the CCTV footage when rooms with TVs are occupied and desire (other flags) notifications. The biggest drawback is the camera must remain on the correct preset to trigger, meaning it ties up a really nice PTZ camera for a sole purpose. Will eventually put up another cheaper dedicated camera to handle this function or will get another Cartell sensor and do it. right.

Very pleased with the Cartell sensor. It has never missed or misfired... I am grateful to all who contribute on the forum with advice and rule examples. Long live the Omni!

Back