VERY loud wireless siren needed

I got in touch with the folks at Federal Signal and they have what I think s the perfect siren for me. https://www.fedsig.com/product/model-2-omni-directional-siren
"Model 2 is an omni-directional outdoor warning siren capable of producing intense warning tones over a wide area. The highly efficient model 2 produces a single tone sound level of 102 dBC at 100 feet on axis whiling making moderate power source demands. The siren can be installed on a roof or an optional utility pole. 
A timer can be purchased to enable the siren to produce three signals: steady, wail, or fast wail."

I figure that's gotta do it! Other than the excellent suggestion by Cocoonut to physically affect anyone inside when it goes off - which I loved BTW :rofl:

BraveSirRobbin said:
Am I looking at the correct unit?

https://www.fedsig.com/product/model-2-omni-directional-siren

FYI, the power requirement at 120 volts AC is 24 AMPS! 

Yikes, you need a 30 amp breaker and a special plug/power feed for that!
Yeah - I'd have to run a separate circuit. I talked to guys there and given the potential cost of the unit they're going to do some sound maps and make suggestions like maybe a double horn siren instead. But I still haven't ruled out the wireless transmitter/receiver to the guard station, with a light & buzzer to alert them. Probably a fraction of the cost of a siren

mccurdyp said:
Yeah - I'd have to run a separate circuit. I talked to guys there and given the potential cost of the unit they're going to do some sound maps and make suggestions like maybe a double horn siren instead. But I still haven't ruled out the wireless transmitter/receiver to the guard station, with a light & buzzer to alert them. Probably a fraction of the cost of a siren

I've read that when municipalities buy the Federal Signal siren, they are priced around $3,000.  Did you get a price quote from them?

mccurdyp said:

Is there a generator on-site?  Is it going to have enough capacity to handle that siren coming online and then continuing to operate?

It would be rather ironic if when your house got robbed, the power consumption of siren caused the house to burn down.

In my house I use VERY LOUD Piezo sounders. It just takes a few of those to be so loud, that it would be impossible to stay in the house to rob it. Add a few strobes as well.  Not only is it very loud, but the robber can no longer listen for the police sirens so they won't know when they need to get out.

I think the OP mentioned a desire to have the siren also be useful for raising the attention of neighbors and a guard shack.  I agree that indoor piezo alarms, especially ones that have a pulsating variation, are incredibly difficult to tolerate.  But if you're talking about criminals determined to loot a vacation home, well, individual tolerance varies.  Enough that I'd agree with wanting to find some reliable way to raise attention with an outdoor siren.

Yes the Firehouse bell and horn siren I mentioned are antiques.  I used the old firehouse bell on the detached garage in a house in the 1980's.  The alarm stuff in the garage was connected to the main house alarm panel.  The bell didn't face the house and testing it I could hear it well from the house.  The siren was too loud and I never used it.   I would tinker a lot in the garage. (even put a loft with a regular floor inside of the garage)  There were water lines, gas lines, gas heat, television, phone and an electrical sub panel there back then.   Did the same with a shed that I had in the back yard in the 1980's.

If the OP puts a $3000 siren on the roof, wired with very heavy copper wire, I think the thieves might be content with just stealing that.

Thanks again for the (sometimes funny) suggestions and comments. Yes, the piezo siren may be loud, but it didn't deter the thief who broke in while away in October - and it is VERY LOUD in our great room with it's concrete walls and 14 ft ceiling!
We have a 14 KW generator, so not concerned about power consumption too much, but the guy from Federal Signal has not got back to me yet. I asked for alternatives to the $3K siren (that can be heard for miles), and as I mentioned he was going to look into something like a dual horn arrangement.

In the meantime, I took up the suggestion for a wireless transmitter/receiver that I can use to signal the guards. CaryMart had just what I needed, so I ordered it. It will be triggered off the audio port of our alarm panel, and will cause a circuit to close (to power a light and buzzer) at receiver end, as long as my alarm is active. I have the panel set for 30 minutes. The advantage of this is the alarm panel has built-in battery backup good for 24 hours, and I can add a small UPS to the sender and receiver. All need to do now is find a 110v buzzer down here. May have to import from US or Canada :)

As soon as I get it hooked up and functional, and the tests work OK< I'll let you all know how it works.

I really would prefer a loud siren so that the neighbors as well as the guards know the alarm went off - avoids any issue with guards being in cahoots with thieves - ha-ha.

Back