Vizia-RF, first impressions

johnnynine said:
After having some times with the 4 button zone and scene controllers, can someone with some hands on experience give any advice on situations where one device fits better than the other?
I am still not 100% sure on this, but.

I have read a post at HomeSeer.com.

The 'zone controller' will report to HS with 'on/off'.

The 'scene controller' that I use can only report a 'on' to HS.

I bought my devices on good faith. Oh well.

ken

I think I got hosed again with the ambiguous literature/specs
k

Hi Ken,

Were the devices advertised in a way that made you think they did something else?

Also, the zone controllers will send scene activation commands to PCs as well.

What features do you want to see in the devices?

Chris

Hi Chris,

The fact that I needed to purchase the devices in order to to discover their abilities was somewhat dismaying. I do indeed like the scene controller, I believe that if all of the abilities to report back to a Z-Wave controller (as I understand them now) were stated up front, the scene controller would not sell at all as compared to the zone controller.

As far as how the devices' abilities are advertised, they are (as near as I could tell) identical, which is wrong.

No big deal to me. I just sometimes wonder why it is necessary to do this the painful way most each and every time. ;)

Ken

edit: spelling

KenM said:
Hi Chris,

The fact that I needed to purchase the devices in order to to discover their abilities was somewhat dismaying. I do indeed like the scene controller, I believe that if all of the abilities to report back to a Z-Wave controller (as I understand them now) were stated up front, the scene controller would not sell at all as compared to the zone controller.

As far as how the devices' abilities are advertised, they are (as near as I could tell) identical, which is wrong.

No big deal to me. I just sometimes wonder why it is necessary to do this the painful way most each and every time. ;)

Ken

edit: spelling
So from what I can tell, you prefer the Zone controller just for it's discrete notifications?

What about non-automation wise? Which one works best in what environment?

Johnny,

I guess my whole point is that this type of info should be included with the device specs. As far as switch function, it is a matter of personal preference, mine is having extra functionality for the same $. ;)

Ken

Hi Ken,

If I had known, I could have given you the details :)

You'll also want to be aware that you can't use the scene and zone controllers to send activations in multi-hop networks with the Z-Troller.

Chris

KenM said:
The fact that I needed to purchase the devices in order to to discover their abilities was somewhat dismaying.
I agree. There there is an awful lot of ambiguity in Leviton's terminology and the documentation does not seem complete.

If they both work with zones and scenes, then why is one called a zone controller and the other called a scene controller?

As I mentioned before I do not see anything that indicates that the 4 button zone controller can set lights to dimming presets on the Leviton site. This is contrary to what people are saying here. So this makes it very difficult to really know what to expect or which one to order.

Here is what I have found:

For the RZCZ4-1LX:

Leviton Website calls it:
"Vizia-RF 4-Zone Controller with IR Remote Capability"

Leviton Website Product Spec Bulletin calls it:
"Vizia RF 4 button remote zone/group/scene controller"

and says:

"The Vizia-RF 4-Zone Controller with IR-Remote Capability is ideal for remote control of up to four different zones (areas) of Vizia-RF scene-capable devices. ... A zone is one controlled load(s): An area is multiple zones."

There is no mention of controlling scenes or setting of initial on levels.

Leviton Install Documentation calls it:
"4-Zone Controller"

and says:

"Can control ON/OFF dim/bright for up to 4 Zones/Area."

There is no mention of controlling scenes or setting of initial on levels.

Leviton Training Video calls it:
"Area Controller"

and says:

"Controls ON/OFF of remote circuits located anywhere in the system."

RZCZ4-1LX Conclusion: Leviton refers to this device with 3 different names and does not mention scenes or that individual lights can have specified on levels when the button is pressed.

----------------------------------

For the RZCS4-1LX:

Leviton Website calls it:
"Vizia RF 4 button remote scene controller"

Leviton Website Product Spec Bulletin calls it:
"Vizia-RF 4-Scene Controller with IR-Remote Capability"

and says:

"The Vizia-RF 4-Scene Controller with IR Remote Capability is ideal for remote control of up to four different scenes with Vizia-RF scene-capable devices. ... An activated scene adjusts various dimmers and switches to preset, customized intensities."

There is no mention of controlling zones.

Leviton Install Documentation says:
"4-Scene Controller"

and says:

"Can call 4 scenes"

There is no mention of controlling zones.

Leviton Training Video calls it:
"Scene Controller"

and says:

"Adjusts light intensity of individual circuits to create different lights moods."

RZCS4-1LX Conclusion: Leviton seems to consistently refer to this device as a scene controller. But does not mention zone or area control, however I assume that this is not necessary since a scene can be set up like an area?

-----------------------

Can anyone help clear this up?

edit: reworded for clarity

I just want to add a correction. The Z-Troller fully supports multiple hops over z-wave. It will route as necessary to get scene commands to all required destination devices.

Rich Helmke
HomeSeer Technologies LLC

Sorry Rich, let me clarify that:

You can't send scene activation commands from an in-wall zone or scene controller to your PC using the Z-Troller. It's a design tradeoff of using the portable controller firmware on the Z-Troller: the in-wall controllers simply don't have any way to route to it because it's not a "stationary" device.

You can of course set up the scenes in the in-wall scene and zone controllers using any Z-Wave controller. I hope I didn't cause any confusion there...

Chris

johnnynine,

You can use the Leviton 4-button zone controllers in "scene" mode rather than in their default "zone" mode. Simply set the scene ID for the button in question, and it will start sending scene activation commands instead of "everybody ON" commands when you press the left ("on") side of the button.

Chris

Thanks Rich & Chris for the added info.

I am doing my install as an experiment, so if something does not work 100%. I usually do not care. I have two HA22s and a Z-Troller, and I am running different types of software.

This stuff is all VERY new and most of the documentation is a bit light.

All I am 'trying' to accomplish with my posts (at this point in time), is to get device information out to poor folks like me.

By the way, I have an 'el-cheap o' o-scope on order that should be here next Friday, about the same time as my double bass arrives.

I will then be able to get electrical pictures of these dimmers, and play Buddy Holly.

The double bass is because I have played with a guitar since I was about six (that does not mean that I know how to play the thing).

I am wondering why the Vizia-RF plug-in modules can control a box fan better than a regular Z-Wave or INSTEON dimmer is able to.

With luck, I will be able to capture some waveforms that will help explain.

k

Back