Vonage in Trouble

Tombo

http://news.com.com/Judge+puts+halt+on+new...tml?tag=nl.e498

For those with vonage like myself, we might need a new service soon. Another example (just like the stupid Lutron patent infringement lawsuit) of our legal system rewarding losers like Verizon with their greedy lawyers for another vague patent claim. The patents were too broad to start and should have never been allowed but it seems we have created a flawed system where you can patent just about anything and it is not a real invention. I think the entire system should be thrown out and we start over. Why can't Verizon offer a system like Vonage rather than sue them? The patent system was supposed to protect the little guy with his invention and now all it has become is a way for large corporations to harass the little guys who make it. I think the first thing is to make it a requirement that you have a competing product in order to bring a patent infringement lawsuit into court. This would keep out the shell companies that are only made up of lawyers from bringing lawsuits.

Don't panic yet. These things are ultimately about money, nothing else, so its just a matter of how much Vonage will need to pay Verizon. If Vonage goes under, that doesn't benefit Verizon because they don't get any money out of it.

actually, it does benefit verizon if vonage goes under. less competition means more revenue, more pricing power for verizon

Thats a pretty big ruling by a judge. I recently dropped vonage and it was a hassle and I'm getting charged alot to do it.

I wouldn't care if they fell after the service I got.

Tombo said:
. . . but it seems we have created a flawed system where you can patent just about anything and it is not a real invention.
Obviously, You have not tried to file a patent. :)
I think the first thing is to make it a requirement that you have a competing product in order to bring a patent infringement lawsuit into court.
Now that IS a great idea ! I can't (yet) think of any downside to it. For a patent, you are required to "reduce to practice" your invention. A product would be solid proof that you fulfilled that requirement.

If you invented something that would be expensive to actually manufacture--and were shopping the idea around to get investors--and then someone took the idea and ran with it... Well, that would be one of the downsides.

Chris

ChrisWalker said:
If you invented something that would be expensive to actually manufacture--and were shopping the idea around to get investors--and then someone took the idea and ran with it... Well, that would be one of the downsides.

Chris
Actually, whether you have a patent yet or not, once you publish your idea, someone else can't patent the idea. "Publish" could be as simple as putting it in a newsletter, dated memo, etc. This is what allows people to shop their ideas around without fear of someone stealing them. As long as you can prove that you had the idea first, they can't file for a patent. Now, that just means they can't patent it. If you publish your idea and never file for the patent, I don't think there is anything to stop them from using your idea.

Acropolis

Yes, Chris, you're right. That is a downside. I hadn't thought of that.

What's worse is that the "someone" would likely be one of the deep-pocketed (meaning "lawyer-rich") corporations that you shopped your idea to.

Also Acropolis is correct in terms of publishing. Anything published would be considered "prior art", which would preclude someone else patenting it.

However, the big problem with publishing anything is that it starts a clock ticking. You must file for a patent within one year of making an invention public.

I've always hated Verizon. They're ruthless. I'm having very few issues with my Vonage account. Heck, I've even got one of their softphone lines running on my WM6 pocket pc. All this for $29/mo.

This isn't about IP.... Its about shutting down the competition without regard for the service being offered to consumers. :)

Back