VZF01-1LX (for real this time) & fan speed questions

shenandoah75

I had asked this in a multi-issue thread long ago, but i've continued to dig and still fno firm answer.

Exibit1: Hunter Original Owners Manual
"To reduce the risk of noise do not use a solid-state speed control with this fan. Use Hunter controls only."

Exhibit2: Specs i can find:
Leviton Vizia VZF01-1LX : Fan Speed Control 1.5A
Hunter 22691: Fan Speed Control 2A (capacitor based)

Exhibit3: Hunter claims the original load is 1A on high....

I can't find any detail on the inards of the vizia device... Is it solid state like the dimmers? With the noise we've seen on the 600 incandescent dimmers, i'd like to make sure i avoid the same in my fans...

thx
-brad

btw - i don't see a need to automate these, so plain vizia is fine for the few i need...

I had asked this in a multi-issue thread long ago, but i've continued to dig and still fno firm answer.

Exibit1: Hunter Original Owners Manual
"To reduce the risk of noise do not use a solid-state speed control with this fan. Use Hunter controls only."

Exhibit2: Specs i can find:
Leviton Vizia VZF01-1LX : Fan Speed Control 1.5A
Hunter 22691: Fan Speed Control 2A (capacitor based)

Exhibit3: Hunter claims the original load is 1A on high....

I can't find any detail on the inards of the vizia device... Is it solid state like the dimmers? With the noise we've seen on the 600 incandescent dimmers, i'd like to make sure i avoid the same in my fans...

thx
-brad

btw - i don't see a need to automate these, so plain vizia is fine for the few i need...

Brad, if I remember correctly, they make special switches for fan motors. I have a Lutron switch for my external fan (eg: where a pull chain wouldn't be a good idea). I don't think the dimmers would work. Perhaps thats what the ViziaRF Magnetic and Electronic dimmers are for?

BTW -- I have no noise on my 600w dimmers. What do you have connected to them?

Ya this is a "quiet fan" speed control (3 fixed), not a dimmer - didn't mean to mislead, just part of the vizia line of controls. I would hope for the same as what you're saying, i just want to make sure given Hunter's guideline as it appears there are inferior controls...

On the 600W, i have a lot of variations, but the buzzing is from the standard 60W incandecesnt clusters (dining/nook/bath fixtures). I still need to buy some Philips pricey ones (past recommendation - maybe yours?) and see if they work better, right now loaded with the $2 special packs of sylvanias from Lowes...

-brad

Ya this is a "quiet fan" speed control (3 fixed), not a dimmer - didn't mean to mislead, just part of the vizia line of controls. I would hope for the same as what you're saying, i just want to make sure given Hunter's guideline as it appears there are inferior controls...

On the 600W, i have a lot of variations, but the buzzing is from the standard 60W incandecesnt clusters (dining/nook/bath fixtures). I still need to buy some Philips pricey ones (past recommendation - maybe yours?) and see if they work better, right now loaded with the $2 special packs of sylvanias from Lowes...

-brad

Not sure. I seem to have normal problems with standard incadescents. It's my (supposedly) dimmable CFLs that buzz... but its the bulbs that buzz, not the switch.

-brad[/quote]

Not sure. I seem to have normal problems with standard incadescents. It's my (supposedly) dimmable CFLs that buzz... but its the bulbs that buzz, not the switch.
[/quote]

In my experience, it was the switch that buzzed. Leviton support informed me that it was a known issue. The lights also flickered (dimmmer and standard CFL's) and they reccomended 15w CFL. I just added a regular incandescent to the load and buzz and flicker fixed. Sounds like your buzz is related to the small voltage leak in the switch. Add a single standard bulb and that should fix your problem.

agreed (i noted above i don't think i need the remote/ha integration for fans in my own case), but just crious, i don't think leviton has an rf version, correct? I find no reference to it on their website, etc...

agreed (i noted above i don't think i need the remote/ha integration for fans in my own case), but just crious, i don't think leviton has an rf version, correct? I find no reference to it on their website, etc...

At this point, no. The only true multi-speed automated fan controller that I know of right now is the Lightolier X10 one.

At this point, no. The only true multi-speed automated fan controller that I know of right now is the Lightolier X10 one.
I can tell you these are the best switches available for ceiling fans. I have 3 and need three more. There are just a bit expensive. The 3 speeds can be controlled by sending x10 dim commands. So mine start on high when we go to be and adjust down as the night progresses.

Back