Water Sensor

glitchen

Anyone have recommendations for a water sensor for a m1 gold? Here is the best I have found: http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/Water-Sensors/GRI-2600 and I don't know if it's compatible.

My plan is to put them everywhere: Under sinks, Washer, Refrigerator, Under bathtub's etc....How do you guys mount them? My thought was to put a 1 gang wall plate with a rj45 behind toilets and sinks so that way I can easily replace them if necessary and not have to cut any cable. Is that overkill? Do they go bad?

http://cocoontech.co...0-on-elk-panel/

See this thread.

There are two types 2600 and 2800. 2600 has 4 wires. If you are running wires, It was recommended to go with the 4 wire model since it uses less power (if that is a problem to you). Plus it is monitored. I thought it was normally open, but may be wrong.

Advantage of this unit over waterbug for example is that you can put on independant zones to know exactly what area is in trouble. From my research, seemed like it was a good product. I have yet to install mine.

:hesaid:

Except it's NC. How about going with an RJ11? Yes, it's overkill, but you will have a very tidy installation.

I think the issue is more that you want to be able to occasionaly test them. problem with a plug is that someone may tamper with it and it may be more of a headache. To rewire a device would probably take all of 10-15 minutes, if you ever need to. It will take more than that to do the RJ connections.

I ran the wires but will get to the install shortly hopefully. The issue with the 2600 and 2800 is that they need to be screwed down; its sensors are raised about a 1/16" off the floor due to two saddles (i suppose this prevents triggering due to moist surfaces). The water bug had the advantage of being able to sit it on a floor, but the unit is bigger, and seems to consume more power; its sensors touch the floor.

I ran two wires at first so bought both 2600 and 2800 sensors.

I think the issue is more that you want to be able to occasionaly test them. problem with a plug is that someone may tamper with it and it may be more of a headache. To rewire a device would probably take all of 10-15 minutes, if you ever need to. It will take more than that to do the RJ connections.

Though I wouldn't choose this method, you can cut the tab back on RJ's and make them very difficult to remove. SOP for many commercial installs, so a small tweaker screwdriver is needed to remove.

Does anyone have pics of these installed? I envision cutting out the bottom of the baseboard to hide the sensor and then running the wires back into the wall where you cant see them btu have never actually seen having any of them installed.

Why not just surface on the baseboard itself, with wire run within the walls. IMHO, cutting the trim is going to look as bad, if not worse, than surface mounting.

I have one 2600 and one 2800 installed. I have one room that I wanted both sides of the room covered and the 2800 with the remote sensors worked perfectly.

how do the remote sensors work, i noticed that on cut sheet. Does water need to be detected between the two cylinders? or is each cylinder a sensor? (and if the later, how many can you add?)

Back