• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Weatherstation based on WebControl8

Efried

Active Member
I would like to know more about addressing a barometric sensors like BMP085.
 
rossw said:
Yes, UROM2 contains the altitude offset for the station. I've only used two of these sensors so far, but they seem to be very close to absolute pressure.
I considered using the MAC address, but it still doesn't give me a way to "tie in" the station to a physical location - without which, it's quite pointless.
Is it better using BMP180 or BMP085?
Will there be some instructions in newer WC handbooks how to connect and address?
thanks
 

CAI_Support

Senior Member
The I2C bus connection is already showing in user guide. If you have not seen that, please go to our web site to download that.
For the I2C sensors, each one has its own unique address.  You will need to read the I2C sensor datasheet to find out the address.
If you have difficulty to understand that datasheet, please post the exact question, so that we will be more than happy to work out the
details for you.
 
The goal is to let everyone learn how to use the I2C and SPI feature to communicate with all kinds of sensors and IO chips.  For example, there are limited RAM space and when power lost, data could lost. However, if you have I2C based RAM and EEPROM, you can expand storage into external RAM and EEPROM.
 

Efried

Active Member
CAI_Support said:
The I2C bus connection is already showing in user guide. If you have not seen that, please go to our web site to download that.
For the I2C sensors, each one has its own unique address.  You will need to read the I2C sensor datasheet to find out the address.
If you have difficulty to understand that datasheet, please post the exact question, so that we will be more than happy to work out the
details for you.
 
The goal is to let everyone learn how to use the I2C and SPI feature to communicate with all kinds of sensors and IO chips.  For example, there are limited RAM space and when power lost, data could lost. However, if you have I2C based RAM and EEPROM, you can expand storage into external RAM and EEPROM.
 
something is mysterious with the type of support you are giving. So some detailed questions:
1. the board where we may run I2C is a WC8 V18d only, no WC32 since I2C is not mentioned in the documentation?
2. what is the best source to buy- I already asked but got no reply about buybuy, reducing shipping cost.
 

rossw

Active Member
Efried said:
something is mysterious with the type of support you are giving. So some detailed questions:
1. the board where we may run I2C is a WC8 V18d only, no WC32 since I2C is not mentioned in the documentation?
2. what is the best source to buy- I already asked but got no reply about buybuy, reducing shipping cost.
 
WC8 supported I2C first, then it appeared on the WC32.
WC8 then had SPI support added, and the WC32 followed soon after.
BOTH current version of WC8 and WC32 support both I2C and SPI
 
The new WC32 I/O board (about to go into production, assuming the last pre-production units pass testing ok) will have terminals for both I2C and SPI.
 
Which country are you in? I may be able to assist you with supply of WC8, WC32 and interface boards for both.
 

Efried

Active Member
rossw said:
WC8 supported I2C first, then it appeared on the WC32.
WC8 then had SPI support added, and the WC32 followed soon after.
BOTH current version of WC8 and WC32 support both I2C and SPI
 
The new WC32 I/O board (about to go into production, assuming the last pre-production units pass testing ok) will have terminals for both I2C and SPI.
 
Which country are you in? I may be able to assist you with supply of WC8, WC32 and interface boards for both.
 
Dear Ross, thanks for your kind support. Is is interesting that CAI does not publish version numbers and capabilities in a table, so owners may orient themselves. Also the WC32 documents I have seen do not mention I2C. May be the board is shipped in huge quantities to integrators selling their solutions for several hundred dollars and not happy having private competitors. So details are explained only on a personal basis in this very forum.
 
My board supply problem lies in the shipment and customs procedures from the US to Austria. Compared to shipping from China to Austria, this is a real hurdle. But I will have to check that out for myself somehow.
 
What about the BMP barometric pressure sensor180 instead of 085, any experiences?
 
thanks a lot
 
Honestly I do not understand
 
Top