Web access with Vizio P-Series TV

mikefamig

I have a Vizio UHD TV that has a bunch of apps available to it but no web browser is available. I watch a good amount of HBOGO and MAXGO on the Vizio by logging into a PC remotely using remote-admin on my laptop, running a web browser on that PC to access the HBOGO.com and streaming the content out to the Vizio via a long HDMI cable.

The problem is that I am tired of having to use the laptop to control the TV. If the Vizio had a browser app or HBO app I could just go to that app and enjoy but that is not the case. The Vizio does have both wired and wireless IP.

So my question:

Is there any way to access a web page (HBOGO, MAXGO, etc) via IP on a TV that does have an ethernet card but does not have a web browser app?

Mike.

Googling a bit found that your Vizio Smart TV OS is:

Yahoo! Connected TV (formerly Yahoo! GoTV) managed by Yahoo and used by Mediatek, Samsung, Sony, Trident, Toshiba  and Vizio (Internet Apps Plus)

It is based on an Ubuntu core and has been hacked using a leaked master unlock key used by developers. (root access).

It is by default locked down pretty tight.

Easier to purchase a micro Intel based PC running Windows 10 for around $100.

You can install KODI on it and whatever else you want to use. 

KODI is the new name for XBMC. 

XBMC was originally produced as an independently developed (homebrew) media player application named Xbox Media Center (abbreviated as XBMC) for the first-generation Xbox game console, and was later made available under the name Kodi (formerly XBMC) as a native application for Android, Linux, BSD, Mac OS X, iOS, and Microsoft Windows based operating systems. It is also available as a standalone version referred to as Kodibuntu.

I am not looking for a pc based solution, I am already using a PC to play AV and it works fine. The pc is in the living room with a Samsung TV and the Vizio is in the family room. The pc has two hdmi outputs that are cabled to the two TV's. I remote into the pc from my laptop and use a web browser to play hbo video and VLC to play video content that is stored on the pc.

What I would prefer is if I had an app on the vizio tv so that I could just play hbo using the tv remote control. I do believe that the Smasung TV in the living room does have an HBO app. I don't like to have to start the laptop, wake the pc, log into the pc, run firefox, navigate to hbogo, sigh into hbogo and then play the video.

I am thinking of replacing the laptop with a tablet for remoting in to the pc. It would boot up faster than the laptop and may be a little faster and easier to use because f the touch screen. It's a little difficult to use the pc keypad in the dark with the dog in my lap.

Mike.

Yup; from googling here doesn't look like Vizio has or will have a browser on their smart TV stuff anytime soon.

How about using Chromecast and then should be able to play hbo directly from your tablet.

Cheers
Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparkman1 said:
How about using Chromecast and then should be able to play hbo directly from your tablet. Cheers Al Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at Chromecast and it looks promising but it does not support maxgo app. Do you know if Chromecast has a pass-through feature that allows you to play a videoapp on an IOS tablet and pass it through to the TV?

Mike.

It looks like chromecast and Apple TV will both do what I want from them. Can anyone tell me how they compare to each other besides the fact that the Apple TV is much more expensive than chromecast?

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I looked at Chromecast and it looks promising but it does not support maxgo app. Do you know if Chromecast has a pass-through feature that allows you to play a videoapp on an IOS tablet and pass it through to the TV?

Mike.

Not that I have found yet, but I just got one a few weeks ago and haven't played much with it yet. Can you watch through a browser on the tablet? If you can, then you can use Chrome and cast through it.

Cheers
Al

Sparkman1 said:

Not that I have found yet, but I just got one a few weeks ago and haven't played much with it yet. Can you watch through a browser on the tablet? If you can, then you can use Chrome and cast through it.

Cheers
Al

Sure I could access maxgo with Safai browser. If chromecast can pass the browser content to the tv then that is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll have to pick one u pand play with it.

Thanks!

Well it just goes to show you should never assume anything. I just tried to access maxgo on the Safari browser and it ust directs me to download the maxgo app. When I tried to get the app I found that my old first gen Ipad is too old to run the app. I'll have to try it on my wife's Ipad Air. Nothing is simple.

I've had the first gen Ipad for so long that I can't remember how old it is and I still use it for eKeypad and a few other things. The battery still has a good life and It just won't die.

Mike.

Here television is on (noise I guess) for the saved voluminous episodes of cooking, daytime/night time shows for wife.  I have configured multiples rooms on the main floor to show the same stuff at the same time such that there is no missing anything. 

There is noise competition between the bird and the wife. (family heirloom - she is 40 and her and wife are always shouting at each other).  Lately the bird likes her linus blanket before sleeping - I take it out of the cage before going to bed here - pita cuz she wraps herself around the little blanket.

Today you do not really need to save anything VCR wise.  I did come from the Tivo environment many many years ago.  The recording stuff though is legacy and not necessary these days (my opinion).  That said I will not change what my wife is used to.

Personally a la carte ...it is around ~ 120 minutes or so of entertainment which now starts with 3 shorts of Daily Seinfeld then a movie; whatever movie sometimes or none at all.

I utilize a mini Intel based PC running proprietary KodiBuntu OS and it is Gb connected to the wire and shut it off when I am done with it.  It is an STB of sorts.  It does live TV but I never watch live TV.  I think the HDMI stick or smart TV is a nice idea; but it isn't for me.

LCD TVs here are really only utilized as monitors these days and not much else.   I did configure a in house rebroadcast of video channels which I do not utilize much these days.  Way long time ago purchased these rack mounted mini single video in / cable channel out device (SD and not HD) and still utilize them occasionally.

Back