What AV preamp has good HA control?

Mr Spock

I'm looking for recommendations on a good quality AV preamp for my next home theater. Needs to have the necessary sound processing capabilities for home theater (Dolby, THX, etc.). It won't control video, the TV will handle that. It has to do all the normal audio preamp stuff: switch sources, at least bass/treble, level adjust, sub-woofer output, AM/FM tuner. I have external Adcom power amplifiers to drive the 5 speakers and a powered Velodyne sub.

Of all the products on the market, what are people easily integrating into their HA system? Ethernet would be preferred, but a really good RS232 serial will work too. HA system is yet undecided, could be Homeseer, MainLobby, or CQC.

I can spend up to $1000, but would like to do it for less if possible.

Thanks.

Ones that our users have had good results with are the Denons (a lot of them have control.) The Marantz SR5005 is a good one for a reasonable price in terms of control not sure about hte features you need. I use the Marantz one myself and it's been solid from a control point of view. The Integra receivers have a lot of controllability. Some of the Yamahas. These types of boxes are pretty crazily complex these days, with a lot of control options. The ones we support are:

Denon AVR-2807
Denon AVR-2808ci
Denon AVR-3803
Denon AVR-3805
Denon AVR-3806
Denon AVR-3808ci
Denon AVR-4311CI
Denon AVR-4806ci
Integra Receivers
Krell KCT
Krell HTS 7.1
Lexicon MC-1 (DC-2)
Lexicon MC-12
NAD T762
Outlaw 990
Parasound Halo Ci
Parasound 7100
Pioneer VS-X-xxTSX
Rotel RSP-976
Rotel RSX-1057
Rotel RSP-1069
Sherwood P-965
Theta Casablanca III
Yamaha RX-Vx700
Yamaha RX-V1500
Yamaha RX-V1900

I'm probably leaving some out, I'm pretty sure there are some more Denons. The Integra one is a kind of 'Universal' driver, which supports probably twenty something of their models.

I've used several Denon 38xx series ones and they are a good bang for the buck. They are easily controlled and can also provide very good status feedback when queried. Their multi-room capabilities are nice as well.

I looked at most of the models Dean posted. They are mostly older models of receivers (receivers have built in amplifiers). I'm looking for what's called a preamp/processor (pre/pro). Maybe I should have more explicitily stated this.

In the Denon lineup, the DN-A7100 is closer to what I'm looking for. This is still a 2007 vintage pre/pro with RS232, but I can probably find one used on eBay.

Anyone have any experience controlling a DN-A7100?

Denon has good information on their website, including the protocol docs for each model.

Paradoxically, I think that processors often are more expensive, despite having no amplification. I guess separates are assumed to be more targeting the higher end of the market, and are much lower volume products, whereas receivers are sold by the boat load and have much higher economies of scale?

I think you are correct there Dean. The newer Denon pre/pro devices easily go up to $3000 and $5000.

Given the prices differences, if I were you I'd just go with a receiver and be done with it. Even if you already have a power amp, you are still saving money probably. You can alway sput the power amp to work somewhere else I guess, maybe pushing out 3 zones of high quality music or something.

I've had good luck with Integra gear. It's essentially Onkyo's upscale brand. Ethernet and RS232 control for all their gear. I have a DTA 9.9 controlled via serial (2 years old) and a DTA 50.3 and a DHC 80.3 (preamp) both contolled via ethernet. The current year (designated by the .3) both have android and IOS apps, but I controll via Homeseer. Great sounding units.

You will be fine in purchasing a receiver, bypassing the speaker level and using the preouts into your existing amps. That is a very common scenario. So forget about power ratings (which is largely best practice, anyways) and focus on the processing specs you're after.

You will be fine in purchasing a receiver, bypassing the speaker level and using the preouts into your existing amps. That is a very common scenario. So forget about power ratings (which is largely best practice, anyways) and focus on the processing specs you're after.

Just make sure you get one with Preouts.

I use a NAD T747 as my Pre/Pro and a NAD T955 for the front 5 channels (T747 drives the rear surround).

My old Onlyo RC160 doesn't have pre-outs so its relegated to the Bar and Outddoor zones.

Back