What kind of Server Software

compuguru

I am looking into building a server for my home. I assembled some components online and was able to come up with a computer that had 1.1 TB of storage for 2 grand. However, I have a question for you guys...what should the OS be?

Basically what I would like to do is be able to log on to my account from any computer on the network, and have all my files and emails etc. Do you have an recommendations on what it should run? Something like Windows Server 2003 or a Novell product?

Do you really need a "server" or will XPPro do? What is this for - a media server? Does it have to assign DHCP addresses or similar network management (real server)?

If it's just for a media server, XPPro will do just fine. Add a hardware RAID 5 card and a bunch of same hard drives and you're set.

DavidL said:
Do you really need a "server" or will XPPro do? What is this for - a media server? Does it have to assign DHCP addresses or similar network management (real server)?

If it's just for a media server, XPPro will do just fine. Add a hardware RAID 5 card and a bunch of same hard drives and you're set.
Well, I think it is going to be a multipurpose server. Like a media and file server combined. I plan to plug it into my router, so it won't have to do any network managment.

My multipurpose server is doing the same thing (no video - not needed with my networked TiVo), and I'm just using Win2k and it's working great. It's very underutilized - mostly backing up my/wife's laptops, playing Music (ripped CDs and off the internet) around the house.

Okay, going with Windows XP Pro or Windows 2k Will save me a buch of money. Thanks guys!

BTW: I found this on the web (http://store.niveusmedia.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.21/it.A/id.455/.f) It is a 1 TB media server. It isn't running on Windows, but acts as a network drive. After some thought, I decided that all I really need is a media server. What do you guys think about the link?

It has some nice features! I had an existing PC that I was using, so I didn't need to purchase this. But if the cost of purchasing a new PC for a server was close, I'd consider your Niveus Server.

I would stick with the XP setup, you can at least upgrade the hard drives, and use it for other purposes if you ever need another machine (i.e. use it as a DVR server for your security cameras). It's pretty pricey as well, but the company does make good stuff.

Back