What to do with all of the cans...

hucker

I am in the late planning stages of setting up my automation system for the new house The HVPro has a can with holes all around it and have planned for a large 48 inch ChannelVision enclosure. There will be cans with my backup power (elk) and security system.

Should I use the large Channelvision enclosure for power entry, phone, data, audio/video and put each of the other boxes one stud over? That seems to be sort of ugly. Are there reliability, code, or other issues with putting the security hardware, my HVPro hardware and the elk power stuff inside of one large can, or two medium ones?

Do people put cans inside of cans?

I've never seen a structured wire can put inside another one, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I would recommend using your 42" can for your phone, network, rf, like you say and then stacking your elk and HVpro cans on top of each other. Both of those are smaller, so you should only have to use one stud bay for both.

--Jamie

This is how I did it:

http://www.mydotsoft.com/products/my.Galle...=nhome%20-%2003

Ignore the mess, I am still working on wiring stuff. Basically, the first 50" can contains all the HA hardware, the 2nd can includes the termination of all wiring. If I ever want to move hardware around, or add another can, I don't have to worry about the length of the original run, I just create a new patch cable. Both 14" cans are power related (1 provides power for just the M1, the other powers the 12V accessories), and the remaining can is for just Cable stuff.

Electron:

Do you have holes drilled through your studs to carry any signals between the panels? Some how that power needs to get distributed and perhaps the alarm needs to see the phone or the automation needs to see the audio...

If this is for new construction and it will be inspected be careful with code requirements. Some inspectors have no clue and others know the code very well. Both are equally as dangerous in my opinion.

Its VERY hard to meet code 100% (I think almost impossible). With 99% of this stuff you dont have a hazard etc if you keep your high voltage wiring away from everything else (as long as the HV is done corrrectly). Technically the NEC considers the battery leads as "hazardous" and want you to keep them at least 1/4" away from everything else (due to the high current available under overload or short circuit). Hard to do in most cases. You can "sleave" them with tubing etc to make a barrier.

Just my opinion. You might want to ask first the code guy/gal first?? Some may not care at all.

I liked Electrons idea for power in the 14" cans but I couldnt quite do it all that way with two 14" cans in my situation.

You could always mount the cans, let all the inspections go through and then terminate. Or just terminate enough to get through it.

Then you won't have to worry about questionable inspections.

You could always mount the cans, let all the inspections go through and then terminate. Or just terminate enough to get through it.

Not a good idea. If you get a fire, the insurance company will give it to you up the dark passage in a second, even if the fire had absolutely nothing to do with your changes. Let's face it, insurance companies are in the business of NOT paying claims, and will use the slightest excuse to deny payment. If you took them to court you wold probably win, but not until you've had a chance to spend your life savings on lawyers, and started on your 13'th ulcer.

Back