Why not use Elk daisy-chain Molex data bus connectors on controller and expansion?

The Elk controller and 485 expander boards all have a pair of molex type 4-position connector that we can use with IDC and ribbon cable or IDC with discrete twisted pair. (e.g., J1 & J2 on the M1, J2&J3 on the M1XIN) and are much more convenient to use than the larger Phoenix type connectors. Having the pair allows for easy daisy chaining from one expansion board to the next. However, all the manuals say that these connectors can be used for temporary bench testing but not for permanent connections. We have used the molex connectors for many, many years and they have proven to be extremely reliable. Does anyone know why Elk recommends against using them for other than bench testing?

thanks

That would be my assumption as well, however strangely enough, back when the 212S was being introduced, all the dealer literature had it and some XIN and XOVR's connected via the cables in the pictures on the cut sheet.

I'd also go one up and state that there's no locking means for the plug connections, just a press fit over pins, which is troublesome enough on a lot of other manufacturer's hardware over time. I'd follow Elk's recommendation.

I'll second the captive force of a screw terminal. Whenever the option comes up I always use a screw terminal.

Back