WiFi bathroom scale with API that is not on the internet

mdonovan

I wondered if anyone knew of a bathroom scale with an API that can be used locally without uploading the data to the cloud. I found the Withings scale and it has an API, but it's connecting to their servers to get the data, not directly from the scale. I do not want to upload data to the cloud and rely on someone else's servers to be up when I want the data, not to mention having it sold to the highest bidder and analyzed/picked apart for marketing.

http://oauth.withings.com/api

Matt

mdonovan said:
I wondered if anyone knew of a bathroom scale with an API that can be used locally without uploading the data to the cloud. I found the Withings scale and it has an API, but it's connecting to their servers to get the data, not directly from the scale. I do not want to upload data to the cloud and rely on someone else's servers to be up when I want the data, not to mention having it sold to the highest bidder and analyzed/picked apart for marketing.

http://oauth.withings.com/api

Matt

Connecting to their server to get what data?

So the scale doesn't work at all if not connected to a wireless network?

No it will work, but the data isnt directly available to me from the scale. It's uploaded to the cloud then their api connects to their cloud to retrieve what data they provide. I want nothing going to the cloud and everything local to my network. That's getting harder and harder to do.

Matt

What if the App on the mobile isn't running or are you looking for a scale keeping it's own database with a webpage server inside it?

If you are worried about your data, just sign up with a separate gmail address created just for that pupose, then there will be no way to tie it back to you or your other data.  But I highly doubt you will find one that stores the info locally.   

I didn't look too deeply at the scale I mentioned, but from what I saw when you stand on it and it weighs you and does all the other stuff it does it automatically uploads that to their cloud. What I want is instead of uploading it to the cloud send it on my network. Then I can write code to listen to an ip address/port and take that data and manipulate/store/report on it. Maybe I could block the data from going out on the web, and intercept it to have a look, but I do not enjoy reverse engineering protocols.

Matt

Sure when the company goes out of business and the destination URL changes or the monthly cost becomes too high it would be much better not to be a cloud slave.

wuench said:
If you are worried about your data, just sign up with a separate gmail address created just for that pupose, then there will be no way to tie it back to you or your other data. 

I hope you do not really believe that.

LarrylLix said:
Sure when the company goes out of business and the destination URL changes or the monthly cost becomes too high it would be much better not to be a cloud slave.

My sentiments exactly. I refuse to buy anything that relies on someone else's servers to function. I'd rather do without.

Matt

Hi mdonovan
Finally did you find a product ? I have the same question for a research project where data must be kept anonymous and confidential....
Best regards,
Dave

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum Dave.

I have the same question for a research project where data must be kept anonymous and confidential....

Tell us about your research project....

And here are quotes from an old movie...to entertain you....

[HAL's shutdown]

HAL: I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.

Dave Bowman: Yes, I'd like to hear it, HAL. Sing it for me.

HAL: It's called "Daisy."

[sings while slowing down]

HAL: Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/HwBmPiOmEGQ[/youtube]

Personally have played with (and use) a Digi USB anywhere device and a similiar Lantronix USB to network device.  Both work fine in Windows today.  Haven't tried to use them in Linux.

Back