Wilma wreaks havoc on South Florida

Steve

Wouldn't it figure that the last available English name for a storm would be the one to get us. Wilma was the worst storm to hit Broward County in over 50 years (Cleo in '64 and King in '50). Broward County lost power to over 90% of its customers including Port Everglades which supplies fuel to the tri-county area. I was very lucky. My power was restored at about the 60,000 mark out of 892,000. FPL estimates complete power will not be restored until 11/22. Fuel is the biggest issue, both for cars and for fueling generators (aside from the obvious water and ice needs). My sister stayed with me during the storm and on Tuesday I sent her North to find gas. She went as far north as Stuart and came back not only without gas for the generator, but with a very low tank in her car. Anybody in the roofing, aluminum screening or landscaping field will be very busy for a very long time. There is currently a curfew from 7PM to 7AM. For the most part people are civil and neighbors are helping neighbors, but there are still those that are part of the 'gene cleansing pool', starting fights on lines and driving wrecklessly. with most traffic signals out, every intersection should be a 4 way stop. The people in 'the pool' have no idea what that is!

Anyway, as for me, I fared about average in the grand scheme of things. I lost 3 out of 4 palm trees and a really nice shade tree out front. Many of my roof tiles were torn loose (the cap or hip tiles) and my screen enclosure while not totally destroyed sustained major damage. I also found my pools solar panels to be leaking in around 5 places (probably hit by roof tiles). I ran on generator until power was restored. There is still a lot of cleanup work which will go on for months. I hope future seasons are not as bad even though we are in a cycle of stronger storms. This is life in sunny South Florida. Now only if the were a UPB or Insteon based hurricane diverter! I guarantee first one to market that would be the next big protocol!

I have some just ok pictures and a few movies if you'd like to see them. You can find them at my photo gallery. You may want to try the slideshow - in dropdown on bottom left.

Nice pics, but didn't find the slide show dropdown.

Just reminds us that mother nature can be an iron b*tch when she wants to.

Hello guys: My house was hit by Wilma too (Hialeah)some damage but not critical,no power yet ,I runing rigth now with generator but fuel is hard to find

Glad to hear you made it as well, I know we have a few other FL people, hopefully they will check in as well.

Steve said:
This is life in sunny South Florida. Now only if the were a UPB or Insteon based hurricane diverter! I guarantee first one to market that would be the next big protocol!
Smarthome John, are you working on one of these yet? ;)

Now only if the were a UPB or Insteon based hurricane diverter!

Well I am not Smarthome John, But I am at lease "John" ;)

I actually had an X10 based version up & working! All was going great until the power went out! :(

:) :) :)

Back