Windows 10 Tablet conversion to Ubuntu 18.X

pete_c

Guru
This conversion will be patterned after my BeeLink BT3 Pro conversion over to Ubuntu.

Basic specs that I am using are:

1 - Atom CPU
2 - 4 Gb of DDR3-4 RAM
3 - 64Gb eMMC

I have done this before except that eMMC was 32 Gb and only with 2Gb of RAM.

Most likely will wipe Windows 10 or shrink it down to less than 32Gb of space on the eMMC card.

1 - Will boot up in to Windows 10 / no updating here. Will utilize MiniTools partition manager to shrink down the partition
2 - will make a USB Boot stick of LUbuntu 19.x
3 - Boot to new Ubuntu ISO and install

Ubuntu drivers should work fine (including touch).

Found a clean HP tablet for my testing Ubuntu here. I was split here between a Lenova and HP the el cheapos that I am seeing.

Specs:

HP ElitePAD 1000 G2 with docking station.

10-inch WUXGA
4GB RAM
128 Gb eMMC
Atom Z3795

Decided to make it dual boot (like the laptops) to Windows 10 or Ubuntu.

HP Tablet came with Windows 8.1.

Updating it to WIndows 10.

Using a standard Windows 10 Pro ISO.  Used Rufus in Windows to write the ISO to a USB stick.

Digital license on Tablet was passed over to the Windows 10 build.

Updated Windows 10 build and installed:

1 - MiniTools Partition manager
hxxps://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

2 - Install Revo Uninstaller
hxxps://www.revouninstaller.com/

3 - Update should automagically remove Homegroup. Here removed it in Windows 8.1...
A - delete Homegroup
B - go to service manager and disable both Homegroup services

4 - Using MiniTools Partition manager shrink the Windows 10 partition to around 64 Gb on the Emmc.

5 - Decided on using Ubuntu 18.04 desktop LTS

6 - download a modded Ubuntu 18.04 build from here:
hxxp://url.linuxium.com.au/latest-atom-ubuntu-18_04_iso

7 - OR download current Ubuntu 18.04 LTS build from here:

hxxps://ubuntu.com/download/desktop/thank-you?version=18.04.4&architecture=amd64

7 - modify your own build with Intel Atom Z3795 drivers.
a - download hxxp://url.linuxium.com.au/isorespin_sh
b - sudo mv isorespin.sh /usr/local/bin
c - sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/isorespin.sh
d - sudo apt -y install p7zip-full bc klibc-utils iproute2 genisoimage dosfstools
e - sudo apt -y install squashfs-tools rsync unzip wget findutils xorriso bsdutils
f - run the isorespin.sh for a GUI interface or via command line type:
isorespin.sh -i ubuntu-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso --at

8 - Write ISO to USB stick

9 - Boot up to USB stick (On HP Elitepad in docking station with wireless keyboard mouse)

Hit power and volume down button to go to HP multiple mode menu.  Pick your boot options there.

10 - Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10

11 - Update Ubuntu

12 - fix sound as it defaults to HDMI

a - Create a file under /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist_snd_hdmi_lpe_audio.conf
nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist_snd_hdmi_lpe_audio.conf
b - Insert the following line in the file above and save it.
blacklist snd_hdmi_lpe_audio

13 - Adjust the Ubuntu video to your liking. WLAN, LAN, SIM Cellular, touch working fine. Best way to boot is to use the Windows UEFI boot loader that works with the touch screen.

Here is what the Windows 10 and Ubuntu screens looks like via VNC.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1313]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1312]

Nice Pete! I’ve been wanting a Linux tablet, how is the performance?

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Performance is better than the PipoX7 running then current Ubuntu 16.04. Initially was going to purchase similar no name Windows 10 tablets for around $180 new.

It is running Ubuntu 18.04 faster than Windows 10 Pro which keeps getting slower with every update.  It's working after 8 hours.  I have not tried past 8 hours yet.

Best of all these are being dumped on Ebay for around $50.  (refurbished - off lease). 

HP accessories new or used are abundant on Ebay.

This is my first venture in to converting an Intel tablet to using Ubuntu.  I prefer Ubuntu running on Intel a bit more than running on an Arm CPU.

An HP ElitePad 1000 G2 medical tablet is even nicer that the standard one.  Not seeing many of these on Ebay though.

Have purchased all (literally) of the HP branded folios / sleeves / et al for the Elitepad 1000 G2 posted on Ebay.  Mostly new and being dumped on Ebay for pennies on the dollar.

Too bulky for me.  Not impressed. 

Wanted something simple and found a "leather" folio that fits the tablet nicely on Amazon.

Next I would like to cook a Linux ROM for my cell phone. 

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1315]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1316]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1317]

Update 27th of March, 2020

For whatever reason here I cannot access the two cameras on the tablet via Ubuntu 18.04

I can see them as HP cameras (which are Intel cameras) but so far I cannot load the drivers for the cameras in Linux.

HP has no Linux drivers for this tablet.  All of the FAQs for these micro Intel PCs are for smaller devices but not tablets.

pete_c said:
Best of all these are being dumped on Ebay for around $50.  (refurbished - off lease). 

You must have driven up demand as I am seeing prices around the $100 mark for refurbished.  

Make a best offer and keep looking.   That is how I got mine.

Most look to be off lease tablets; some way cleaner than others.

Just purchased a clam shell for mine which has USB / SD card, addition flat battery and power.  Fits on the cradle just fine.  $10 new with free shipping.

Same thing happened when I purchased the Ruckus WAPs.  Each time the price went up a bit.

Update 13th of July, 2020

Been running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 on the HP Elitepad G2 1000.  

One of my issues here with Ubuntu 18.04 was the lack of drivers for the front and back cameras.

Found this article today.

Intel Atom Camera Driver Resurrected In Linux 5.8 - Benefits A Lot Of Devices

I am only 4 or so hours per charge now so ordered a new HP battery today for the tablet. Hopefully this will bring me back to 8 hours per charge.

and a couple of videos:

HP Elite Pad 1000 G2 Teardown - Inside the Tablet!

ElitePad 1000 G2 Atom Tablet Linux Install! with Windows 10 Clonezilla Backup

Here I just did a dual boot of Windows and Ubuntu 18.04.

Next updating it to Ubuntu 20.XX

Will post pictures of the take apart.

August 09, 2020 update

Using the tablet when outside of the home much these days.

I have not found a similar tablet to date.

Mostly using it in Windows 10 mode. It is getting a tad slower with every Windows 10 update.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1386]

There is a bug in the Windows 10 touchscreen drivers where when automagically updating the drivers quit working. The fix here is to downgrade to the Windows 8.1 drivers. This is documented and I opened a ticket with HP and they seem to have an issue understanding.

Just read that the new Ubuntu 20.X drivers now include the front and rear webcam drivers.

I have read that the new Ubuntu 20.x is lighter than Ubuntu 18.04.

Updating Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.  Easy peasey.

Download the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS ISO and create a new ISO.

isorespin.sh -i ubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso --atom

Still finding these under $100.  Did upgrade battery to get 5-6 hours of battery time.

Used a suction cup to pull off the LCD, removed old battery and updated to new battery   Then just clipped the LCD back to the base.

Installed Ubuntu 20.X LTS.

Updated kernel to 5.8

wget -c hxxps://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.8/amd64/linux-modules-5.8.0-050800-lowlatency_5.8.0-050800.202008022230_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

rebooted to new 5.8 kernel.

To remove kernel.

sudo dpkg --purge linux-image-unsigned-5.8.0-050800-generic

Purchased another HP Elitepad 1000 G2 last week.  Decided to dedicate the first one to just running Ubuntu 20.04 and this one to just running Windows 10 Pro.

Same as the first one with 4Gb of RAM and a 128Gb eMMC in it.  It is much lighter and thinner than the HP 360 which is more of a laptop than a tablet.

This one came with the hardened sleeve on it except no spare battery.  I tried installing a spare battery on my current Elitepad and could never get it recognized or charged by the OS.  I do get about 8-9 hours now on one charge of main battery.  Aux battery will take this to 12 or more hours.

This one looks like it was never used much and in near perfect shape.  Had an incomplete update to Windows 10 on it rendering it useless.

Dual booting is a PITA on it via WIndows.  You power it up and hold the down volume button to get to the EFI boot screen for the two OS's.  It does work fine via touch.

Runs OmniPro Touch and or Homeseer Touch just fine if you want to use it as an automation touchscreen tablet.

Ubuntu 20.04 is a tad faster than Windows 10 Pro on it.  

Back