Windows "scripting" application?

Ira

I have an application package that I want to run on a time based interval, e.g., every twelve hours. The application does not have any kind of interval based control, so it can't do it by itself. It does not have a command line interface or any API that can be used. All it has is the typical Windows-based user interface -- click on the desktop icon to start it, navigate thru it by clicking on various options/commands, etc. In most cases, the process I need the application to take won't vary from one time to the next, but it would be nice if the "scripter" could interrogate some screen fields/objects and make basic/limited decisions. Minimum required functions would be to click on various buttons, checkboxes, etc. and enter text in a text box field.

Anyone heard of anything that can do something like this?

Thanks,
Ira

Use AutoIT. You can use it's functions to manipulate the buttons of the program, even if the program stays minimized.

--Dan

I like both EventGhost and AutoIt, but I think AutoIt would be the easiest in this case, plus you can compile the script into a single exe. The AutoIt forums have tons of good examples, and the software comes with great examples as well.

I have an application package that I want to run on a time based interval, e.g., every twelve hours. The application does not have any kind of interval based control, so it can't do it by itself. It does not have a command line interface or any API that can be used. All it has is the typical Windows-based user interface -- click on the desktop icon to start it, navigate thru it by clicking on various options/commands, etc. In most cases, the process I need the application to take won't vary from one time to the next, but it would be nice if the "scripter" could interrogate some screen fields/objects and make basic/limited decisions. Minimum required functions would be to click on various buttons, checkboxes, etc. and enter text in a text box field.

Anyone heard of anything that can do something like this?

Thanks,
Ira

If you are running windows, you can use "Scheduled tasks" to run the app whenever you want. I also use AutoIt3 to automate things like cursor movements after an app is running.

Steve Q

Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded all three. AutoIT V3 looks to be the best for what I want to do. Unfortunately, the application doesn't us standard Windows controls so everything will have to be done by mouse control and just hope that everything works okay, instead of using some of AutoIT's more advanced functions. It looks like the only think AutoIT can recognize/query on this app is the panel titles. For example, it can't determine the text associated with a radio button.

Ira

there's a program that comes with the AutoIT software, it will give you all the control names.

The only one I have not been able to properly manipulate is Pidgen (so far).

--Dan

there's a program that comes with the AutoIT software, it will give you all the control names.

The only one I have not been able to properly manipulate is Pidgen (so far).

--Dan

Do you mean the AutoIt Wndow Info program? I used it, but it didn't recognize any of the controls in the application. I browsed the AutoIt forum and found several posts where it says it only knows about the standard Windows controls.

Or is there some other program that I haven't stumbled across?

Ira

Ira,

That's the one.

Probably the same reason I can't have it "check" windows in Pidgen.

I was using the mouse click method as well.

--Dan

Back