Wire Wire Wire

Whats the deal with the big E vs the little 'e'? Which one will run 1000mbit ethernet? Or do they both?

Is the RG6QS with copper core good for both digital cable and satelite? It's likely i'll never do component distro. I'd prefer to run only 1 type of coax..which should it be? I'm sure it's been discussed many time, maybe somebody can point me to the right thread.

Many thanks....

You will drive yourself nuts looking for big vs little e. My cable supplier made a big deal about it when they were told big E was a little better. The more important thing about cat5 is that the better stuff is tested/swept to 350Ghz. 1gb will work fine on that.

Yes, RG6QS solid copper core will work fine on both Sat and Cable. It is the best choice for those uses. I think most people prefer the mini coax stuff for stuff like component distribution. I've heard people not like the combo cable too much - its harder to pull, etc. Also Cat6 can be a little more difficult to work with although some do prefer it. A good quality cat5 is all you really need imho.

I was just looked at the Belden banana peel combo cable #7876S, which is a combo os Cat5e (belden #1700R) and RG6QS (7915A).

The RGQS in that combo (7915A) appears to not be suitable up to 3ghz. In the details of the 7915A cable it states'Sweep tested 905mhz to 2.25ghz) as opposed to '100% sweep tested 5mhz to 3ghz' for the Belden 1694A cable.

Which belden banana peel model are most people using?

Since i want to run 4 cat5/6 and 2 RG6 to many locations anyway (telephone/data/IR/future) i thought i would run a combo cable with cat5e and put 2 cat6's in separately. But now i'm questioning which combo cable.

Since i'm likley to have the builder put the LV cabling in i wonder if he wold charge less for putting a combo cable in. Essentially it's a single pull vs 4.

Also, is there any type of consitency or standard in color choices for cabling? I know blue is popular for LAN and organge for 'uplinks'. Anything else or is it all personal preference?

FWIW, a quick check on prices on the Markertek website, and they are quite a bit more expensive compared to Tri State Electronic. I have bought plenty from tselectronic, and have been very pleased.

The TIA, ISO, and CENELEC do not have a different standard for big E vs. little e. There is Cat 5, Cat5/e, and Cat6. The difference is based on different vendors, and how they market their cable. There is a difference between Cat5e cables, however. The Cat5/e standard specifies transmission characterics up to 100Mhz. You can find a lot of manufactures who offer 350Mhz Cat5/e. I would highly suggest that you use 350Mhz rated Cat5/e for your data network. For all other runs (audio keypads, intercom, etc.) standard Cat5 or Cat5/e will suffice.

Don't be fooled by marketing from some of the "cheap" cables. Many no-name cable brands now offer a Cat7 cable. While there are accepted specifications for this new class, it is not being actively developed by the TIA. Stick with a name brand, good quality cable, such as Belden for your data needs.

I know it's not ideal, but would RG6QS (solid copper core) work for composite video distribution? I am considering distributiing output from a DVD changer or possibly the output from the PC.

I would prefer to run only 1 type of coax in the house. So if RG6QS will do the trick at say 90% or something quality then thats fine with me.

Hi All,

With the common Belden BananaPeel combo that most of your are using?

I foudn 7876S (2 Cat5e 350Mhz, 2 RG6 3ghz sweep) Belden states their 'Duobond plus' is better than quadshield.

Is this a good cable to get? Any idea what the cost per L.F. is?

Is belden worth the money? What's the alternatives and what the premium of belden over others?

I am close to signing a contract to get a new house built by a developer and the developer will put in all the pre-wiring. I plan to specifcy for him to specifically use the Belden 7876S. Does this sounds ok?

Back