Wireless Solenoid Valve - Any suggestions

znelbok

I am looking to add some solenoid valves to an irrigation system - wires are no possible due to the large distances and I was thinking that wireless solar powered solenoid valves wold be the solution.  A search so far has not yielded anything so I am here to ask the guru's

Has anyone seen or can recommend a wireless solenoid valve.  RF technology probably does not matter so much - bluetooth etc is too short a range for what I am dealing with and WiFi will probably increase cost significantly.

My guess is that the valve controller will need a watchdog timer in case there is no off signal received, the solenoid will be DC to minimize power usage and a small solar panel for charging the battery (unless it can run for a long time on battery).

Mick

Actually, I'd say distance, voltage, power availability and what sort of infrastructure and/or ratings are needed? application?

Most irrigation solenoids operate on 24VAC.  I've never seen one designed for DC, which is what the solar panels and battery will provide. 

In theory, you could operate the solenoid using DC power, but that will increase the current required. You'll need to factor that into whatever you design.

Irrigation solenoid valves operate from DC just as well as AC.  The desired DC voltage to activate the solenoid works out to about 10 volts, but 9 volts is sometimes more desirable.  Twelve volts results in excessive current which generates heat and causes the solenoid to melt down if operated for prolonged periods.

Distance - 400m LOS (as indicated - large distances, too great for Bluetooth, but within the range of 433MHz and 2.4GHz)
Power - battery, solar backup/recharge would be nice.  The indication that it was large distances and solar powered would indicate ELV DC

DC solenoid valves are very common and are used exclusively in DC powered controllers, so nothing new there at all.  All mains powered controllers will use 24VAC solenoids because current draw is significantly less and there is no power usage concerns when staying on for a long Time.  DC solenoids latch on and hence power is only required for the latch/unlatch operation.

While AC solenoids can be operated on a DC voltage, it is not the right solution for a battery operated installation.

You may have better luck searching for remote control relays long range but I don't know how this would work with your layout as you would have to 'locally' distribute the DC at the remote location.

Can you describe the remote layout?  For example: four valves within xxx meters of each other with the group approx xxx meters from the controlling station.

jpmargis said:

That is a very neat device, I wonder how the battery holds up over time. It occurs to me that a device like this could use the flowing water to spin a generator that helps to charge the battery if you have the water pressure to support it.

Mike.

That is kinda what I'm looking for and there are a few of them around, but they just lack the ability to control remotely.

I have found a few single (or two) valve irrigation controllers that you can set watering times etc but there is no remote manual control available.  Thats pretty much the only feature add-on I need to be able to make it work

Back