WooHoo, put in Solar! Crap, fried the Elk

I have dabbled with PC solar for 16 years now. I will never break even.

PV panels lose a few percent of their efficiency after a year or so but not much ever after that. They stabilise but the industry doesn't have any actual stats due to PV panels not being around long enough. The PV panels will likely last forever However the rest of the equipment, inverters have an expected life expectancy of 15 years if they are good quality, batteries 6-15 years depending on quality, how hard you discharge them and maintain them. If you have a good sunny area you may do well.

The Powerwall is the most expensive battery I have ever seen per kWh of storage. A simple FLA (flooded lead acid) battery costs about 1/10 of the cost but is a lot more hassle, we are told. Originally the Powerwall battery would not handle the average home peaks, like starting a motor while other loads are running. IIRC Tesla improved their figures a year or so after release. I assume you have a plug in vehicle that works with the unit directly, making it more worthwhile and efficient.

Good luck with your investment. It will be interesting to see your satisfaction after a few years. My $30K investment has produced almost $600 worth of grid backfeed over the last ten years (another  aprox. same amount comes off my consumption bill and is not apparent)  and I only had one inverter fire over 15 years.. Luckily insurance picked up the $16K to replace it with a much higher tech unit. :)

Solar in California can have a quicker ROI due to our insanely high electricity costs. One of my brothers built two Solar powered houses, his California house would have cost way too much to bring power in so that helped make the decision, he also has a Solar powered house in New Zealand. When he decided he needed a third home in Wyoming he didn't even consider using Solar, he only pays about 6 cents a KWH for electricity there.

6 cents? 6 CENTS?!?

MF'er.  I'm at Tier 4, which is 40 cents/kWh. (That's one of the big reasons I put in a VM stack and dropped down to a single server)

Sure we only pay 8-10 cents per kWh but my $25 bill for energy usage nets me a bill of about $100 per month due to $125 / month delivery and fixed costs less a gov rebate and a multitude of other trumped up  costs  to regulate the unregulated industry.

The PV definitely helps somewhat over neighbour's bills,  but $30K invested at usual rates would net me $1800 per year (@6% average) without any maintenance costs or effort. My PV will never catch up to 20% of that.  I had fun putting it in and rebuilding it every few years though.

We had an incentive program for a few years where they forced the utilities to pay out 83.2 cents / kWh for PV production. With their meta data experiences, most recognise the cost of PV production runs about 40 cents per kWh cost.

Back