X10 appliance module - dry contact mod

treo650

Can someone share some photos, or an easier write up?

I am reading and doing research on how to modify the x10 appliance module to create a dry contact output, but the write ups Ive seen are too confusing.

Anyone got a model done, with photos?

I see this link, but its still confusing

http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/Modifying_Appliance_module.htm#Modifying%20appliance%20modules%20for%20momentary%20operation

Also, is the Appliance mod limited to different series?

How do I tell which version do I have?

You're totally overcomplicating it (which hopefully is good news!). Get a 120VAC relay and a lamp cord. Plug your lamp cord into the appliance module, and connect spade terminals to the other end and connect it to the coil side of the 120VAC relay. You should have 3 terminals left - common, NO and NC - use those to drive whatever contact you're going for. Secure it all nicely in a project box so the terminals are kept safe, and keep the best possible isolation between high voltage and low voltage. When you turn on the appliance module, it'll energize the relay activating your contact.

There's an example in my signature for the UPB Fireplace Control - it's not driven off an appliance module; it's driven by a UPB switch - but it's basically the same thing.

The mod in your link are for a momentary pulsed output not an On and Off isolated contact.

I have not done that version of the momentary pulsed output. I have done the one that replaced the internal relay switch with a 12 volt DC one and a few components. In the new CFL Friendly model.

The latest CFL friendly ones are different. I don't know the Date Code {X10 isn't telling} where the change was made. It has a surface mounted controller and a completely different electronics.

Back