Z-wave alliance unveils first Z-wave enabled home

electron

Administrator
Staff member
The Z-wave alliance has unveileved the first Z-wave enabled demo home. It looks like they involved many of the popular manufactures in the HA industry. The home is located in FL, if anyone is in the neighborhood, feel free to do a little field reporting for CocoonTech.com ;)

Fully interoperable Z-Wave products were installed in the home by a variety of industry leaders including Intermatic, Leviton, Wayne-Dalton, Universal Electronics, Logitech, Techniku, Elk, RCS and ControlThink. This one-of-a kind demonstration home located in St. Petersburg includes product applications ranging from lighting and appliance controls, garage door openers, window treatments, security and entertainment systems to universal remote controls.

Read the press release (businesswire.com)

Pretty cool!

I second the request for someone in florida to contact them and setup a press appointment on CocoonTech's behalf. It sounds like this home is pretty impressive.

St Pete is like 250 miles (around 4 hrs) from me. Only around 110 from Wayne. He wins :eek:.

124 miles for me, where do I sign up? Perhaps the local floridian group would like to meet up at the house (under the guise of the press) for a tour. The articcle states tours available for the press only.

Well, I have a friend in Tampa, I may be able to be talked into a road trip. We could get official press CocoonTech shirts.

We also have John in WPB and I think someone in Miami. Maybe we could even think about starting a Florida users group, and meet quarterly or something?

We could call it:

Florida
Users
Bring
Automation to
Reality

:eek:

[Grunt]

With all the people on the east coast (north east)... How come all the good shows like CES and EHX constantly take place in the west? I still say that CocoonTech should put together a show sponsored by the many manufactures we have the frequently visit out site.

[/GRUNT]

We had a media invite (with some major media coming out) on Wednesday. I should have thought and invited someone from CocoonTech. Sorry about that!

The home setup is pretty cool--and the best part is that all of the products in the home are either shipping, currently being manufactured, or getting ready to be manufactured.

By the way, I was really surprised by the Wayne Dalton HomeLink to Z-Wave bridge--in a very good way. It makes it so that you can activate Z-Wave scenes (like turning on lights) when approaching or leaving your home with your car--using the built-in HomeLink buttons in your car. It is very, very cool--and the bridge is also a controller which is very well designed. I can see it being the Primary controller in a number of homes.

Also, regarding products we haven't talked much about before, the Z-Wave Pool and Spa system from Intermatic was pretty nifty, as were the Techniku window blinds and shades. And of course, the Logitech Harmony 890 remote with its Z-Wave to IR bridge, and the Intermatic HomeSettings duplex receptacles, and . . .

We set up the network in the home with our own ThinkEssentials product using a USB controller. It took less than fifteen minutes to add all 50+ devices into the network, including the car, and then we simply set up scenes.

According to the publicity surrounding the home, all of these products should be in manufacturing or available for purchase in Q1 2006. I'm pretty excited.

Chris

Squintz said:
With all the people on the east coast (north east)... How come all the good shows like CES and EHX constantly take place in the west? I still say that CocoonTech should put together a show sponsored by the many manufactures we have that frequently visit our site.
And maybe they could demo a few snow melting gadgets and not so much with the pools and spas and lawn sprinklers!

Back