Z-Wave summary?

ver0776

I have just ordered a Z-Wave starter/kit and SDK. I have a new developer working on Z-Wave for vCrib and he is making great progress, so time to order some switches, but I have a couple questions.

In my upstairs, I do not have neutral lines in most of my switches and was browsing on AutomatedOutled and see the some of the z-Wave stuff does not require them. So I am ready to buy the rest of switches for my house. (FUSH - figure out that acronym =)

So I am ordering 2: ZDW120W - 600 Watt Zwave Dimmer Switch. Which clearly state they do not need neutrals. But the relay of the same line does not say that it does not require a neutral ( ZRW113W - Zwave Relay Switch, White) so hear are my questions:

1. Does ZRW113W require a neutral (I will be using this to control a ceiling light and fan with no neutral)

2. Is the motion detector (ZIR000 - Zwave Motion Sensor) pet friendly? And is it faster than a MS16a talking to a W800RF? I would love to replace some of my X10 crap, but you have to be better than my crap to replace it =)

3. It looks like a couple companies are selling ZWave stuff. By using the SDK from ControlThink, am I limiting my choices of products or should they all work together.

4. I burned out SH SwitchLinc v1 Dimmer with my bedroom fan, which is why I am ordering the Z-Wave relay, but Insteon can dim a fan ok with a neutral, so wondering is anyone thinks I can dim this fan with Z-Wave not using a neutral?

THANKS, I know a lot of this info is on the forum already, but I need to place an order quickly. And after the PAIN SmartHome and Insteon have put me through, I may never be capable of researching another HA tech like this again =).

BTW It pleases more than my trip to Thailand to support something besides Insteon!!!! I hear that noise again, it sounds like swoosh, but I think it is FUSH, FUSH, FUSH... Although SmartHome.com is still one of my favorite sites, you have beat us all with the Insteon stick for too long and I will never forget or forgive the Insteon development experience.

Anyways, thanks for any advice about Z-Wave. Like I said, I have another developer handling z-Wave, so I am not studying the protocols or anything and could use some current summary info for my own house... thread links or whatever.

Thanks you my Cocoon friends!

Vaughn

Vaughn,

To answer part of your e-mail, the Z-Wave PC SDK is Z-Wave Certified software, and is interoperable with all Z-Wave products. We're always pushing to support various Z-Wave devices as much as we can...so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Chris

Vaughn,

To answer part of your e-mail, the Z-Wave PC SDK is Z-Wave Certified software, and is interoperable with all Z-Wave products. We're always pushing to support various Z-Wave devices as much as we can...so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Chris

Thanks! My developer says he loves it and I should have mine in a few days, so looking forward to it!

As for the other items: What the hell, I will just order a couple of the Dimmers, they can't be any worst than Pisteon. Plus I need to start doing more business with Martin, although my SHPro discounts are often cheaper.

still looking for feedback on the Relay Switch needing a neutral and pet immunity on and z-Wave motion detectors.

I also saw the Boca relay control for Z-Wave but was wondering if there were any Digital Inputs for Z-Wave? I just order an Insteon one from SmartHome (SimpleHomeNet) to get me by, but it is only 4-in 2-out, and I am really looking for something to keep me from buying an Elk. So like a 16-input module for Z-Wave would be awesome. I like Elk but would rather stay controller free as long as possible.

Thanks,
Vaughn

If you want good motions you should really consider alarm units and IO as you later mentioned.

Moxa makes some interesting controllers.

Also if you are good with RS485 sniffing you might be able to really get some good use from Geovision's IO, pretty basic but also pretty cheap. 8 in and 16 out for <$100, I just haven't played with it long enough to see how it works.

Back