Z-Wave touch screen controller

jarcher

Hi All...

Does anyone make a Z-Wave zone/area/scene controller that is a touch screen? Maybe a nice color square display to go into a singe or dual gang box that let's you have all kinds of control over whatever devices? Maybe even one that let's you map out a floor plan, select a room, renders the room and it's devices and lets you touch them to control them?

I need to make a choice for area and scene controllers soon and Levitons Vizia 4 button controllers seem so, well, low tech...

With Cinemar finishing up our Z-Wave plugin, you then have a touchscreen controller capability.
We sell the Nobu in wall touchscreen with MainLobby running on it. For very simple systems, this and the Z-Wave USB stick is all you need to control your lighting system. For more elaborate systems you would have the server software running on a central PC that the Nobu PC client is networked to. The Z-Wave USB stick would typically then be installed on the server PC.

Out of the box is floorplan support. You would need to draw your floorplan graphically (Visio, PowerPoint, Photoshop, 3D Home Architect, or any other graphical program that you can draw the floor plan), and then copy / paste the buttons from the sample to your floorplan to control your Z-Wave devices.

If you are graphically challenged or want a pro level floor plan, Cinemar provides this as an optional graphical service.

Hi All...

Does anyone make a Z-Wave zone/area/scene controller that is a touch screen? Maybe a nice color square display to go into a singe or dual gang box that let's you have all kinds of control over whatever devices? Maybe even one that let's you map out a floor plan, select a room, renders the room and it's devices and lets you touch them to control them?

I need to make a choice for area and scene controllers soon and Levitons Vizia 4 button controllers seem so, well, low tech...

With all due respect, that's misleading - the touchscreen doesn't have zWave capability, the software that it's running does and it requires a back-end windows PC as a server. CQC has been doing that for months, but no one's claiming that all of a sudden all touchscreens and PDAs and remote controls are now zWave compatible.

If you can handle a back-end PC for control, two of the CQC'ers have gotten these cool little jobbers, they're tiny though- barely bigger than a business card. They're esctatic about them, of course rthey had to design a screen accordingly. Alternatively, if you're willing to go bigger than double-gang, you could get a lilliput which is 800x480, roughly 7" screen.

http://www.tangentaudio.com/cqc/n800_cqc1.jpg

<snip>
If you can handle a back-end PC for control, two of the CQC'ers have gotten these cool little jobbers, they're tiny though- barely bigger than a business card. They're esctatic about them, of course rthey had to design a screen accordingly. Alternatively, if you're willing to go bigger than double-gang, you could get a lilliput which is 800x480, roughly 7" screen.

Soon to be 3 CQC'ers with those. I'm getting mine today :p

<snip>

Soon to be 3 CQC'ers with those. I'm getting mine today :)
Ok, what are these, besides really, really cool.
Gimme the details: make, model, where to buy.
Something tells me that they're expensive though. :(

Viewsonic has an integrated tablet and also zykronix has a touchscreen with z-wave built in. You'll have to google for the links - I'm feeling lazy. I have never used either of them so I can't offer advice, but I know they exist.

<snip>

Soon to be 3 CQC'ers with those. I'm getting mine today :)

Nokia's N800?

We sell the Nobu in wall touchscreen with MainLobby running on it. For very simple systems, this and the Z-Wave USB stick is all you need to control your lighting system.

I just checked out that Nobu thing and it sure looks interesting. An entire PC! It consumes 1,250 watts, so basically it needs it's own 15A circuit. I didn;t see and specs on its actual size (outsode, inside) and it comes with it's own mounting bracket for inside the wall. I'm guessing it's very expensive. Still, it's pretty cool.

But it seems like quite a bit ov overkill for home control. But, with wifi, 3 USB ports and a wired ethernet port, it could do other things too, like check the weather, get email, watch online video and so on.

But there must be a simpler device. No one makes a small touch screen that goes into a 2 gang box? It could be wired to a PC and just perform input/output.

Viewsonic has an integrated tablet and also zykronix has a touchscreen with z-wave built in. You'll have to google for the links - I'm feeling lazy. I have never used either of them so I can't offer advice, but I know they exist.

These look interesting, thanks! They can run the flash player. If they run the latest flash, then they can do virtually anything. I sent off for more information.

My heavy duty HTPC (P4 3.2Ghz) uses 1.2A, my FryDaddy uses 9A. Definitely a mistake. Sorry for going offtopic :/

<snip>

Soon to be 3 CQC'ers with those. I'm getting mine today ;)

the Nokia n800 in the picture and the Nokia 770 (http://www.jkmcomputers.com/cqc/nokia/DSCN4567.JPG).

they run the CQC IV using RDP. it makes an absolutely perfect portable touchscreen.

i use the 770 that i got on ebay for < $200.

You may want to take a look at Lagotek.

They make a touch screen controller that fits into a standard dual gang box. From what I remember it uses both Z-Wave and Wi-Fi to control devices in your home.

They only sell through authorized Dealer/Installers so I doubt you will find any pricing info on-line, however, you may be able to find a dealer that is willing to work with a DIYer. Certainly worth a trip to their website.

Back