Premise Electronic door locks?

Motorola Premise

jimre

Anyone sucessfully used Premise with one of the popular electronic door locks, like Schlage or Kwikset's Z-wave systems? Or are there better alternatives to look at? Thanks!

etc6849 is the go-to guy for using z-wave devices with Premise. I helped him write the z-wave driver and I tested it using a z-wave simulator. etc6849 did all of the real-world testing because he owns z-wave light switches and a thermostat.

The key is to find the z-wave command codes for the lock. I had to do a lot of searching to find the thermostat's command codes. The VRC0P has the ability to send any z-wave command code so, and this is a big guess, I believe it is capable of sending/receiving lock codes. Between etc6849 and myself, we should be able to modify the driver to support a z-wave lock. However, we'd need someone with a z-wave (and Premise) to test it.

Take a quick look at this thread:
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...&hl=schlage

AsiHome suggests that the VRC0P will support the Kwikset locks in the near future. When this happens, I'll probably ebay my current VRC0P and try the updated version; I'll also update the Premise driver :lol:

If you don't want to wait on the Kwikset and Leviton ViziaRF option, I'm sure there are options that would work (if they came with an RS232 interface).

AsiHome will have the new VRC0P with lock support mid-May! I plan to buy the kwikset locks along with a new VRC0P.

Pre-order here:
http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/product_info.php?products_id=3437

AsiHome will have the new VRC0P with lock support mid-May! I plan to buy the kwikset locks along with a new VRC0P.

Pre-order here:
http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/product_info.php?products_id=3437

Etc, did you see my post in the zwave thread regarding the Ztroller? I like the fact that it's end user upgradable and is a primary controller. Serial interface and ASCII control set to boot. Let me know if you can make heads ot tails of the document I posted.

Cheers!

Does anyone know if the Kwikset will be a subscription service like Schlage or directly controlled??
Seems stupid to have to pay a monthly fee to unlock my doors!

Does anyone know if the Kwikset will be a subscription service like Schlage or directly controlled??

Kwikset locks are directly controlled by your current controller. Schlage only requires a subscription service if you don't already have a controller capable of controlling the locks. Their service lets you control it and other zwave functions via the web. If you run HS or Vera already you'll be fine. Hopefully etc and mark can get lock support added to Premise shortly after receiving the new VRCOP or using HS' Ztroller.

manxam, yes I saw your post and I appreciate it! If there wasn't a 1000 lines of code (or more) tied up in the VRC0P, I'm sure someone would have switched. The new VRC0P is also upgradable, which is a nice feature, but it is still not a primary controller.

It's worth noting however, that the VRC0P + ControlThink stick + free leviton installer software does come out cheaper in price than the z-troller. I have no idea if the z-troller is compatible with Leviton's scenes and groups either.

PS Leviton has posted the new documentation here:
http://communities.leviton.com/docs/DOC-2392

Now that the documentation is posted, it's clear the changes necessary to add locks are small (maybe 20-30 lines of code). I'm curious about features such as immediate feedback status if a user locks/unlocks doors using a code... Do the kwikset locks work like this?

If they do, you will be able to use the lock's keypad to disarm your alarm and turn on interior lights; all before the user even opens the front door! There's also the possibility of tracking users based on what code is entered. These are just a few hopes I have for my Premise setup. Of course these types of non-generic enhancements will be handled using scripts under Home objects, but I'll post examples if this is feasible.

KwikSet has no plans of being a subscription service like Schlage - they want to build locks that will interface running the security class with Z-Wave or Zigbee - the New VRC0P-1LW should be in-stock the 10th of May B)

It looks like I spoke too soon on the VRC0P being a great price :( The price shot up $20 at asihome/worthington (they're still one of the cheaper places though). I'm guessing it's due to a cost increase of the old VRC0P versus the new or that Worthington uses a demand driven pricing sysstem.

I got a great deal on my kwikset deadbolt so I went ahead and ordered anyways. It looks like I'll be one of the first to try the z-wave locks with Premise :D

I'll be standing by, waiting for some feedback.

I'm finally in my house. Small, small house. How small? (apologies to Johnny Carson). It's so small, if you order an extra large pizza, you have to eat it outside..

So instead of 4 or five zones; only 2, maybe 3 if I press hard (or add on). The usual stuff coming, thermostat, RadioRa, cameras, etc. Some new things. Driveway annunciator, alarm system, fan and fireplace controls...

Definitely looking for that ZWave doorlock!

It looks like I spoke too soon on the VRC0P being a great price :( The price shot up $20 at asihome/worthington (they're still one of the cheaper places though). I'm guessing it's due to a cost increase of the old VRC0P versus the new or that Worthington uses a demand driven pricing sysstem.

I got a great deal on my kwikset deadbolt so I went ahead and ordered anyways. It looks like I'll be one of the first to try the z-wave locks with Premise :D

Unfortunately, do to the update to the VRC0P the pricing has increased. We were just notified of the new pricing yesterday after the initial pricing had already been done.

Just as a note regarding Zwave and the locks ... I have/had been working with Dean (of CQC) to get CQC to support the locks directly via Zwave controller (e.g. Aeon stick). The issue is that the information regarding the classes the locks use are pretty well guarded, and require quite the purchase (I believe Dean found it to be something like $3k) to get access to via Zwave Alliance.

I would be really surprised if you guys are able to get it working...

You can read some of the highlights here: http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=8747

Fortunately, it looks as if the new VRC0P-1LW will be the solution for me.

Unlocking and locking is very easy to implement; there's even an example. Look at the documentation I linked to above.

I don't know how the lock will report it's status (for two way feedback), but I'm sure I can figure it out or at least come up with a work around such as polling.

I have the Kwikset, it reports its status whenever the state of the lock changes, plus you can poll it.

Back