Conversion from ADT to Elk M1

dayland

I am in the process of moving from an old ADT pre-installed security system to the Elk M1. I was able to reuse my motion sensors since they were hardwired, but all my contact switches are wireless. I know they are Honeywell style, Ademco 5816, switches. There was a wireless card hooked to the ADT system with a barcode and # sa5882-3enm on it. I have tried wiring this card up as a databus on my Elk but cannot get the elk to identify it during databus enrollment. I have tried wireing it directly to the keypad inputs as well as the 5-pin aux data bus port.

Anyone know or have any documetation on the ADT wireless card? Know if this card will even work with the Elk M1? I am hoping to make this work before I have to buy the Honeywell wireless reciever from Elk.

Thanks,
Daylan

I think the only receiver from another manufacturer that works with the Elk is the Caddx one. I am not 100% but I think you will have to buy the Elk Honeywell receiver. I would also check compatibility of your wireless devices with the Elk Honeywell receiver.

I think the only receiver from another manufacturer that works with the Elk is the Caddx one. I am not 100% but I think you will have to buy the Elk Honeywell receiver. I would also check compatibility of your wireless devices with the Elk Honeywell receiver.

Thanks for the feedback. I know my transmitters do work with the Elk Honewell reciever.

The databus, though a standard technology (RS485) is using a proprietary protocol - only accessories built by Elk or in partnership with Elk can talk on that databus. You definitely need the right receiver. You'll want to get the M1XRF2H in order to be able to use the honeywell sensors. Also, this has to talk on the databus vs. a single input so that the Elk knows which of the sensors its talking to at any given time - that's how you set them to behave differently. Hooking anything to a single zone wouldn't be able to differentiate between different sensors or sensor types.

If you have an account on Elk's support site you can a list of their currently approved/tested wireless accesories by looking in the manual on page 8. http://www.elkproducts.com/_webapp_2981444/ELK-M1XRF2H__M1_Wireless_Receiver_for_Honeywell_Transmitters

Not necessarily....

You could also convert the wireless signals using one of these - http://www.automatedoutlet.com/RW-REx24

You can then convert the Honeywell wireless to the GE that the Elk likes.

You could also convert the wireless signals using one of these - http://www.automated...et.com/RW-REx24

You can then convert the Honeywell wireless to the GE that the Elk likes.
It sounds like the OP doesn't have any existing wireless receivers - so at that point it seems to make the most sense for him to buy the M1XRF2x that's most appropriate for his install, which would be the honeywell... or am I missing something?

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up buying the Elk Honeywell reciever. I had it working with the Ademco 5816 switches in under an hour.

So I am doing the same thing: replacing a previous system with an M1.  The sensors are all SA5816, but presumably older than the current versions (bigger).

My M1XRF2H registers them, and the System recognizes them.  But that's as far as it goes.  I configured them the same way as I do the newer ones: 
Type 0 = EOL Hardware/Wireless
No option 1 or option 2, PIR on the motions, loop1.

In this configuration the system shows them in fault.  If I check option 1 or 2, the fault goes away, but the system does not recognize when the sensor is activated.

I tried loop2.  System still does not recognize a sensor activation.

Anyone know what the secret is with older 5816?

Back