UPB I/O Modules w/ Omni

tannebil

I've been using an SA UPB I/O module as a remote contact sensor to monitor the position of my garage door. Is there a way to configure my LTe controller to treat it as a zone rather than a unit?  Everything I see for UPB in the documentation assumes it's a light.  I could program a flag for it but I'd like to see it in the Security screen on Haiku and include it in the area. Is there any way to create a "virtual" zone?

Or do I need to just suck it up and add wireless to my controller?

Thanks, Bill

There's no way to have a virtual zone.  The only way I can think of at the moment to accomplish what you want to do would require using both an output and a zone.  You could wire an output to a zone and then toggle the output based on the UPB status of the I/O module.  This in turn would change the zone status.  It would work, but it's a lot of overhead for what you want.

Instead of a zone you could have a flag that reflects the status of the IO module channel.
It could change state based on links transmitted by the IO module.

The problem is that I want to be able to include it in the Area for alarm purposes and have it show on the Security page in Haiku.  Is there a way to trigger an intrusion alarm from a flag? That would get me half way there.

I tried wiring an output to a zone and manually turning the output on but nothing happened.  As I understand things, a zone is a 12v circuit and the output is a 12v output so it seems like applying the output to the zone should complete the circuit so either my understanding is wrong or I'm missing something in my configuration (both of which are distinct possibilities).

Do I need a load (like a EOL resister) across the output for it to work? Or maybe I should get an HAI 4-relay to use just to raise the complexity a notch.

HAI support put me straight on the wiring.  I needed to just wire the + of the output to the + of the zone, then jumper the zone. When the output is on, the zone is closed and when it is off the zone is open. The UPB link activates/deactivates the zone as if it was a normal hardwire.

The key is that for the application to work, the controller must see a transition from a secure to not ready state - without a resistor, the application and removal of voltage from the output would not produce any transition in the zone "state". By having a resistor in place, the controller recognizes the state of the zone as secure when there is no voltage - when the voltage from the output is applied, the zone is essentially shorted to ground, producing a not ready state.

With the above stated, for your application, since you have the resistor setting set to not use them, a jumper wire placed across the zone contacts would work in place of the resistor, as both values (145-147 with resistor or 126-128 with a jumper wire) would be recognized b7y the controller as a secure state.

Have to say that I'm loving my LTe and Haiku/HaikuHelper even if it means that I'm going to have to spend some serious time learning more Javascript.  It's going to be a lot harder to do a customized interface for my iOS devices but Haiku alone can be customized sufficiently to bring it to a barely passing WAF grade and it automatically includes lots of new stuff as I add it to the controller.

I am sad that HAI doesn't have a wireless temperature probe so it's going to be a bit of a project to add that.  But that's the fun!

I know this is a really old topic. But hoping you could explain this to a noob exactly how you accomplished this as Im trying to achieve similar with a new shop I built and want to have door sensors and motion etc. and like you I want to include it in Area for security purposes and show up on haiku app

Just wire as a Zone as set it as Auxiliary.  You can then see it as a zone and programs based off status.

Back