ELK keypad help

desaivid

I have a bench setup to try out my new Elk m1G.

I am trying to wire two ELK-M1KP2 keypads to the Elk M1G. I have a home run from the keypad to the panel from both. I thought i should be able to wire both to the databus without a M1DBH. I have both keypads terminated and wired to the databus with red, green, white, black wires.

The system just buzzes at me...keypads do not seem to respond.

Any pointers to what I am doing wrong?

Make sure you change the address on one of the keypads.  The default is keypad 1 out of the box and so your second keypad you need to change the address to 2 etc.  Check the instruction book for how to change the address during power up (you can always pull the plug on one keypad to restart it and change the address).

If by chance you already did that check that your white and green wire polarity is correct.

Thanks Digger. I wired and got the first keypad enrolled. Its when I added the second keypad is when the problem started.

I guess I'll take the first one out, set the second one to address #2 and then see if they get happy being on at the same time.

I can't use the ELk RP software as i am waiting for a USb to serial cable to arrive. I am trying to enroll via the keypad in the meantime.

Make sure that only the keypads are terminated and that you don't have a jumper on JP3 on the M1 board.

Thanks Digger and Cocooner. Adding the keypads one at a time and changing the address of the second one followed by adding both to the system did the trick. Both keypads are enrolled.

Now onto playing with the M1EXP.

Thanks guys.

Back